Artwork is shedding. What can I suggest to the artist?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
WannabeFramer
Organisation: Arlais Framing
Interests: Arts, crafts, framing and walking

Artwork is shedding. What can I suggest to the artist?

Post by WannabeFramer »

I have literally just finished the last of these for an exhibition to be collected tomorrow. I have no time to fix anything now but I want to suggest something to sort out future problems. I'm not quite sure what. :sweating:

The first few were fine. The last couple decided to shed shed 'bits' everywhere while I was putting the backs on. I took them apart, cleaned them out and re-did but as soon as the frame is turned horizontally more 'bits' drop off. I ended up assembling them vertically -whilst sweating and cursing - and the artist will have to be as gentle as possible tomorrow. I suspect the work will shed more bits in transit. The cream spacers will show up everything!

The art is made of various recycled stuff, and some kind of paper pulp that is moulded and then painted. The problem ones have bits of sand and grit stuck to the surface, and I think it is this that is shedding.

Without entirely changing the framing, all I can think of is suggesting I re-do the backs with flexi or turn-tabs so that they can be opened up and 'brushed out' in future. The problem is ... the backs are MDF stapled flush as there is not enough depth to inset them. It matches other frames they use and building up the back to allow for tabs could look a bit odd? Am I overthinking?

I feel responsible as I should have foreseen there could be issues, but we are where we are. I would rather fix them myself than have another framer curse me in future!

Any other suggestions?
IMG_6882.jpeg
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Re: Artwork is shedding. What can I suggest to the artist?

Post by theframer »

You could put a mount at the front of the frame against the glass the bits that drop wont show as they will be hidden behind the mount
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Thanks, that’s what I originally suggested but they didn’t want that look. I didn’t think it through further. To add one now would mean removing all the spacers.

They usually make their own frames in this style but without glass.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Don't let someone else's problem become yours. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

The shock of the point gun, and especially the staple gun for the back, doesn't help.

I'd tell the artist that prevention is better than cure and to sort out a way of ensuring nothing falls off, maybe with the type of gel that they use to preserve flowers for framing, or something.

I wonder, as you already know how wide the spacers need to be, if you provided a load of long strips that wide, if the artist would be willing to finish them to match/complement each piece, would solve the problem and look the biz!
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

prospero wrote: Thu 11 Apr, 2024 9:50 am Don't let someone else's problem become yours. :P
I feel this is my problem though as I should have thought about it more. Albeit, the one that is worst was a last minute addition. They showed me a picture of what they wanted and I just agreed.
JKX wrote: Thu 11 Apr, 2024 10:20 am The shock of the point gun, and especially the staple gun for the back, doesn't help.

It definitely didn't and was a ..... moment! If I could have fitted flexi tabs in I would have, but again, I just didn't think that far ahead.

I'd tell the artist that prevention is better than cure and to sort out a way of ensuring nothing falls off, maybe with the type of gel that they use to preserve flowers for framing, or something.

I wonder, as you already know how wide the spacers need to be, if you provided a load of long strips that wide, if the artist would be willing to finish them to match/complement each piece, would solve the problem and look the biz!
I will have a conversation when they collect this afternoon. They are going on display from tomorrow so I really don't know how to play it as there is no time. My fear is someone buying oen and then having to pay for another framer to sort them out in future because there are little bits floating around inside. That then gets back to the artist/gallery and reflects on me.

They may not even be that worried. It is just that I usually make a batch of basic stripwood boxes for £5-10 each and they do the rest themselves. These are the first ones they have spent money on, so I don't want them to be disappointed.
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

I know this is between you and your customer but I do have to see it just as Prospero said.
You are taking on a problem that your customer is wholly responsible for.

You said the art works were created using scraps and other loose recycled components.
Of course, bits are going to fall off. The artist should have perhaps sprayed them with some sort of fixative if they wanted the art to endure.

If it was me, I'd simply phone the artist now and tell them that one of their works is shedding loose material inside the frame.
Then they are aware of the problem without you having to look sheepish when they come to collect.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
JoeB
Organisation: Niche Frames Europe Ltd
Interests: Framing, Giclee

Post by JoeB »

Maybe something to try if you have enough room is to pre fit backloander tabs in the frame and use the minimum amount of staples. We sometime have to do this.
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Update:

They have all been collected and paid for. When I pointed out the two that had been shedding, they instantly said "oh is it sand?" I don't think it was unexpected! Although everything looks good now, I've said they should be kept upright and handled with care.

We left it that should there be any issues, I am happy to unfit the frames so they can put some kind of sealant on the pieces. I am then happy to re-assemble them again and I will figure out a better way than stapling the MDF at that point.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I really appreciate it. I feel a huge responsibility for things to be perfect, but you are right in this instance that I can't take full responsibility for the art itself in this case. Having said that, I have learnt a lesson to think ahead and advise of any potential issues!

Hopefully that will be it. :rock: