Glazing choices...

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
jay

Glazing choices...

Post by jay »

Hi All,
What would be your choice of glazing (ideally available from Centrado UK) for a window mounted silk scarf 1040 x1020?
It will be hung in a Holiday Cottage.
Would like to know if 2mm glass would be ok in these circumstances? Was thinking Artglass UV99.
Not overly keen on using Acrylic because of the static.

Thanks as always
Jay
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Glazing choices...

Post by Justintime »

The recommendation is if it's over 1m2 then go to 3mm. I would be especially wary of using 2mm in a holiday cottage situation.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

I think it's a bit risky, especially in a holiday cottage, it'll get more handlng (cleaning) than a normal home for a start. It could/should be security hung though, which would make it safer - glass rarely falls out of a frame when broken anyway.

It would be acryclic for me, at least 4mm, preferably abrasion resistant too, static shouldn't be an issue, in fact if the acrylic IS abrasion resistant, you could use a DCO (direct contact overlay) method, and lose the mount (which is a bit skinny on that size IMO). There's always TruVue Optium museum acrylic, which is anti static, abrasion resistant and 99% UV filtering, Centrado don't sell it (but they do sell 4mm acrylic) but Wessex do - code HY22 4.5mm, 2440mm x 1830mm £2550.00, they'll cut it to size for you though :-)

Just make the customer's choice an informed one, but I think maybe price will be a deciding factor.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I would be just about comfortable with 2mm glass at that size although I would prefer 3mm. It would depend on the frame and mounting methods.
jay

Post by jay »

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have ordered 3mm Acryguard UV from Centrado, which is what I originally recommended to my customer.
Better safe than sorry....
The smaller scarves I will glaze using Artglass UV99.