Workshop location dilemma

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
hiraeth
Organisation: N/A
Interests: I've got three quite young children, what are these interests and hobbies of which you speak?

Workshop location dilemma

Post by hiraeth »

At the moment I have my framing setup split in two: I cut and pin my frames in my workshop, and I do all mounting and mount cutting up in the studio in the attic. I did this to minimise dust when assembling, and to keep artwork away from harm in the workshop where I do general wood and metalworking.

I've been offered an old plan chest which would be ideal for storing mountboard and mounted artwork when drying, but there is no way I can get it up the narrow stairs to the attic. In truth some larger work has been tricky to get up there. This has made me consider moving my mount cutter out to the workshop. I do have a shop vac for all the tools out there along with passive air cycling.

Is this lunacy? The attic is a nice, bright space to work, but the workshop isn't that bad either. I have compressed air out there, which I don't currently in the attic. Do any of you have similar setups, with any views/thoughts on dust and safety of artworks?
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Re: Workshop location dilemma

Post by JKX »

It's Ok to have a "clean" room, but you can also have a clean area in a combined workshop and the plan chest will certainly help in that area as well as giving another worktop maybe.

A place for mounted artwork when drying?

I like the user name, is you Welsh?

I take it you know the song?

John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Re: Workshop location dilemma

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I have a worship approx 5m x 6m and I use a circular saw and a Hoffmann and sanders in the same room as a mount cutter and assembly area.

First of all, it is not ideal, but it can be done. My approach is as follows

1) I have invested in top quality (M class) vacuum extraction.
2) I do have a plan chest and ensure that all artwork and cut mounts are kept safely in there.
3) when not in use my mount cutter, and assembly bench are covered in dust sheets.
4) I separate my working days to make frames on some days, and assembly and mount cutting etc on other days.
5) On change over from dust making to clean working environment I vacuum carefully at the end of the day, and the start assembly the next morning
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/