Glass Cleaning

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
More So

Glass Cleaning

Post by More So »

The paper separating the glass has left a 'mackerel' pattern that will come off, but only after a lot of very vigorous rubbing. We use a 50/50 solution of meths and water.

Can anyone suggest an easier method for removing these marks?
You will never get the last word on a belligerent buffoon
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

glass cleaner

Post by JFeig »

My Rx for glass cleaner is much different. I make a concentrate (128:1) of the following:

5 C meth (600 ml)
2.5 C white cider vinegar (3-5%) (300 ml)
2 oz . household dish washing liquid (65 ml)

This makes about 1 qt US (1 L) and will make 32 gal (122 L). I have used this formula for 20 years.

From a conservation standpoint the acid in the cider is so minimal as to not matter. Most evaporates after all.

For extra scrubbing power you can add a dash of whitting (calcium carbinate) to the working strength botle (shake well when using). An old newspaper (several days old so the ink is dry) will also add extra scrubbing power. Both of these solutions should not be used with coated products (conservation style glass)
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
sarah

Post by sarah »

We use meths as well to clean our glass. Once or twice we have had the same problem, I have found if you let the glass soak for a minute or two seems to cut down on the elbow gease.

I'm sure there are products on the market that would do a better job of lifting the grease if you have a nosey in the lion catelogue or online.

Good luck
markw

Post by markw »

The mackerel patterning is almost like a watermark and it seems to be tha final polish stage that removes the pattern - I have had glass in that is so badly marked that i couldnt clean it - and have sent it back to the suppliers. I go on the basis that i pay for good quality glass and dont expect to have to scrub at it to clean it.
Framing Norah

Post by Framing Norah »

Yes Sarah,

This trick seems to work with 'mackerel' glass. Spray a light misting on both sides of the glass and leave for 3-4 minutes before wiping (with Mark's Microfibre cloth) We have always used the 50/50 meths solution and been happy with it, but will be giving Jerome's brew a go. May have to scale up though, 32 gallons might not be enough to last to the end of the week. :D
FN
More So

Post by More So »

Good point Mark. If I was paying full price I would also have rejected this delivery. But I was made an offer that I just couldn't refuse. Started to have second thoughts though when it turned out to be so hard to clean.

The pre-soak idea works well, thanks guys.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hey Guys
Sorry to be a 'scrooge' but we have been using TESCO spray window cleaner, with the mico fibre cloths. Even with the 'mackerel' marked glass. Even finger prints and oil from the glass cutter, seems to be no problem and there is no smearing either.
John GCF
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

glass cleaner

Post by JFeig »

you can make a 1/8, 1/4 or 1/2 batch as well of the concentrate

Float glass that we all use is not polished. The smoothness is just as it comes out of the furnaces from "floating" on a tub of liquid tin. Then over steel rollers as it cools. As seen with my own eyes during a visit to a Guardian Glass plant in my area where all the Conservation Clear is made.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
JonC

glass cleaning

Post by JonC »

We use Lion glass cleaning concentrate diluted down
Its got apparantly an alcahol base gets everthing off immediatly
Use a tork paper (non linting)John F
Max the Framer

Post by Max the Framer »

I tried many things to get off the glass/paper marks before now settling on Swipe Original which I am sure some/many of you would have heard of - it has been around for about the last 40 years . It is environmentally safe (slightly alkaline, no ammonia or other nasties) and remarkably powerful. A one litre bottle of concentrate costs Aust$23, but when you consider that this dilutes with water down to 250 litres of glass cleaner, it really is very cheap. However, because of the 'grip' of the 'mackeral' marks, I arbitrarily am using the 'normal' mix of 1:20, so I would get about 20 litres for $23 - still very cheap (about $1.35 a litre) and incredibly effective. (If you make the mix too strong, it will leave an excess on the glass which you then have to rub off) No longer do I have to use all that elbow grease - hardly more than a gently pressure. I follow this up with methylated spirit, more to remove all trace of the Swipe than anything else, and then dry polish with a soft cloth. Perfect result.

Because I liked the Swipe products so much, I have become a distributor. I am certain they are available in Britain - just look up Swipe & Naturcare in the phone book.

Max
More So

Post by More So »

Welcome to the forum Max, and thank you for the tip.

However, I have been unable to source Swipe. And a Google search for "Swipe Naturcare uk" does not turn up anything of interest. Could it be sold under another name here in the UK?
Max the Framer

Post by Max the Framer »

I am not sure why you do not readily find Swipe & Naturcare easily in the UK. Perhaps they operate there under a slightly different name. However, I am informed that the following couple are distributors, located in the London area -

Rosemary & Eddie Coaker
0175 368 4346

I'm sure if you contact them they will either arrange delivery themselves or put you in touch with a local distributor.

Regards - Max