Hi all,
I'm having some trouble getting clean cuts on deep (40+ mm) mouldings with my Morso F, the blades are freshly sharpened (though a bit on the short side) and appear to be aligned correctly, but I'm getting quite a lot of 'tearing' on both soft and hard woods.
Any tips/tricks/things to I should be watching out for?
Cheers,
Zac
problems cutting deep mouldings
- Zac
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Tue 07 Mar, 2023 8:50 am
- Location: Hove
- Organisation: Self employed
- Interests: Art, lit, film, good food, good drink, good gravy! Was a freelance web developer (if anyone needs any help with their websites) but loving my new career as a framer.
- Contact:
-
Justintime
- Posts: 2536
- Joined: Sat 26 Sep, 2015 8:48 am
- Location: West Wales
- Organisation: George The Framer LLP
- Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.
- Contact:
- pramsay13
- Posts: 1514
- Joined: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 11:46 am
- Location: Stonehouse, Lanarkshire
- Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
- Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music
- Contact:
Re: problems cutting deep mouldings
Search through the forum for morso issues and have a look and see if any match your problem.
It could just be a bad batch of cheap moulding that won't cut right and needs binned.
It could be your morso needs adjusted by the screw on the bottom that moves the blades back a bit so they a fully through the back of the moulding.
It could be blades haven't been sharpened correctly.
What if you put a bit of scrap backing just behind the moulding and adjust the cut accordingly, does that help as a stopgap?
It could just be a bad batch of cheap moulding that won't cut right and needs binned.
It could be your morso needs adjusted by the screw on the bottom that moves the blades back a bit so they a fully through the back of the moulding.
It could be blades haven't been sharpened correctly.
What if you put a bit of scrap backing just behind the moulding and adjust the cut accordingly, does that help as a stopgap?
- Zac
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Tue 07 Mar, 2023 8:50 am
- Location: Hove
- Organisation: Self employed
- Interests: Art, lit, film, good food, good drink, good gravy! Was a freelance web developer (if anyone needs any help with their websites) but loving my new career as a framer.
- Contact:
Re: problems cutting deep mouldings
Thanks guys,
Pic below, it's Tulip wood for info:
I had a look through the forum and looks like I'm getting similar issues to some others. I tried putting some mountboard against the fence and this did help, but didn't resolve it.
I've since changed my blades as I think these may now be too short, see pics below... how short is too short? These are embarrassingly short so I think it's time to invest in a new set, the replacements I've used are only about 10mm longer.
I was unaware of this "screw on the bottom that moves the blades back a bit" ... where is this, could someone provide a pic?
Pic below, it's Tulip wood for info:
I had a look through the forum and looks like I'm getting similar issues to some others. I tried putting some mountboard against the fence and this did help, but didn't resolve it.
I've since changed my blades as I think these may now be too short, see pics below... how short is too short? These are embarrassingly short so I think it's time to invest in a new set, the replacements I've used are only about 10mm longer.
I was unaware of this "screw on the bottom that moves the blades back a bit" ... where is this, could someone provide a pic?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zac
-
Fruitini
- Posts: 288
- Joined: Fri 19 Oct, 2007 7:17 pm
- Location: Devizes, Wiltshire
- Organisation: Original Glory
- Interests: Digital Art & Photography
- Contact:
Re: problems cutting deep mouldings
Mark @ TGS Repairs told me that once they get to 70mm or under they need replacing. Sounds like these are end of life to me.
-
JFeig
- Posts: 1480
- Joined: Thu 23 Sep, 2004 8:31 pm
- Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
- Organisation: minoxy, LLC
- Interests: non-fiction knowledge
Re: problems cutting deep mouldings
The adjustment screw for depth of cut is a hand workable block with a hand turnable "T" handle that is attached to the vertical connection rods between the head and the foot peddle. It is reachable from the back of the machine about halfway down the rod/bar.
Your blades are definitely past their useful life with only about 8mm of hardened tool steel left on the blades. The line across the length @ 1 cm of the beveled portion of the blade marks the braised/weld joint. The blades are made from tool steel welded onto a base of basic soft steel(this is the portion where the attachment holes are).
Your blades are definitely past their useful life with only about 8mm of hardened tool steel left on the blades. The line across the length @ 1 cm of the beveled portion of the blade marks the braised/weld joint. The blades are made from tool steel welded onto a base of basic soft steel(this is the portion where the attachment holes are).
Jerome Feig CPF®
- Zac
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Tue 07 Mar, 2023 8:50 am
- Location: Hove
- Organisation: Self employed
- Interests: Art, lit, film, good food, good drink, good gravy! Was a freelance web developer (if anyone needs any help with their websites) but loving my new career as a framer.
- Contact:
Re: problems cutting deep mouldings
Thanks all, have invested in a new set of blades, as someone else noted in another Morso Issues thread, "If you're not excited you're in the wrong business" ... excited I am!
Zac
