Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Framing Norah

IFFA?

Post by Framing Norah »

Whilst browsing, came accross this.

http://www.iffa.co.uk/index.htm

How come I've never heard of the Independant Fine Framer's Association?
FN
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi FN. Didnt know it existed either.
Doesnt seem very populated ..

I think I will stay with this forum. At least its building slowly
John GCF
markw

Post by markw »

looking at the list of members by area, it looks like a group who are disatisfied by current uk framing trade organisations - They have been around for quite a while but dont seem to have gained momentum.
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

Post by Coxby »

With such postings on their forum titled "Is anyone out there?" - maybe we should say they're all here; come join the party!! :lol:
sarah

Post by sarah »

They maybe think we are too cool to hang out with 8)

Some outspoken, confident, Balshy *cough - Norah* should ask them to the party :) :wink:

Would be nice to widen our sphere of expertise and knowledge.
Framing Norah

Post by Framing Norah »

Don't put a good thing past yourself there Sarah. :)
FN
sarah

Post by sarah »

No no Norah I couldn't possibly steal your thunder I insist! :)

Afterall you were the one who actually discovered their existence, and brought it to our attention, I wouldn't want to tread on your stilletos :P
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Ladies !! Go for it.

Not only education on the forum but also entertainment.
John GCF
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

IFFa

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Folks,

'As far as I am aware', (i.e. this is what I was told) this group started off as a buying group of framers, sort of like a co-operative, who got together and barracked suppliers for discounts, etc. Now, before I am piloried (like that word, eh), or called a liar, this is what I was told, and if it was or is true, fair play to them.

Framers from each part of the country should do this and get together and put pressure on the major suppliers to get discounts, even going as far as to put pressure on the localised wholesalers / agents to get 'proper and or standardised' discounts / deliveries.

I think this is a superb idea and one which I have been asking other framers here for ages to get invloved in, but alas no takes as yet.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
markw

Post by markw »

Steven
Dont you belong to an organisation called the Fine Art Trade Guild? But I see a problem - so do your suppliers and me thinks they carry more weght than us little framing outfits. skews the picture somewhat (forgive pun). Suppliers will only sensibly give discount on bulk - not sure how you would apply that principle to a group of framers who will all want small amounts at different times from suppliers who are geared up to deliver to thier door at a price. Competion keeps down prices - and whilst I am not sure how it is for you in NI - over here competition is pretty hot. I dont decry any business from making a good profit from my needs and in my experience whenever I seem to get a bargain discount rate there are always catches.
Framing Norah

Post by Framing Norah »

Not sure that we should get involved with these people. They are obviously time travellers, perhaps even from another dimension or parallel universe.

Here we are at the end of June 2005 yet they are caliming to be able to go back in time to their next AGM!
Next Meeting: AGM
23rd/24th April 2005
Maybe, like Groundhog Day, they keep re-living their AGM again and again until they get it right. :D
FN
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

IFFA

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi

Mark
I know I belong, like you do to the Fine Art Trade Guild, but unfortunately the Guild dont, wont, cannot negotiate member discounts, where 'apparently' this group has. I am unsure of the total membership numbers of IFFA, but as far as I am aware (and I am trying to find out) their idea is working well.

Keith Emerson who seems to head this group, again apparently is a decent chap, he was a member of the Guild's FC committee, but unfortunately his resignation was being read out at my first meeting, so I didnt have the chance to meet him. 'Cest la Vie' (Hope thats right)

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
sarah

Post by sarah »

Framing Norah wrote:Not sure that we should get involved with these people. They are obviously time travellers, perhaps even from another dimension or parallel universe.

Here we are at the end of June 2005 yet they are caliming to be able to go back in time to their next AGM!
Maybe, like Groundhog Day, they keep re-living their AGM again and again until they get it right. :D
Norah I think it just shows that the site isn't updated on a daily basis :roll:

Looks like the guys on the IFFA site have more important things to do than troll, sorry contribute to, a forum.
Terry

IFFA

Post by Terry »

Hi there
Picked up the comments about our organisation. Nice to see a forum working, ours has been bedevilled with technical problems (hence the "anyone out there" comment!),although its not a major item for us.
We are not a large group but have had significant influence on suppliers/publishers/standards etc over the years. Some of us are FATG members but do not always believe they serve our specific interests. We are not specifically a buying but can have an influence in this area. It would be great if we could get more members as the larger we are the stronger our hand. Fees are a modest £75 a year so why not join, perhaps some IT expert could solve our web site problems. We are a friendly bunch and our meetings are part business and part social.

Terry Smith current Chairman IFFA
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Tech Support
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Hi Terry,

Welcome to the forum.

We would be happy for your members to join us here on The Picture Framer's Forum. If you think it necessary, an IFFA sub-forum could be created, just let me know.