Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
cmaclean
Organisation: Borderline Framing
Interests: Grand-children, Gardening, Walking, Technology

Framing Certificates

Post by cmaclean »

I've never framed a certificate, i.e a diploma, university degree etc.
I've seen them framed hard up against the glass and thought there has to be a better way.
Is it better to mount them on adhesive perfect mount foamboard to give some rigidity and space them off the glass using the Framespacer strips.

I want to avoid using a mat board because of the increased size.

I'd be interested in what you think.

Cheers

Campbell
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Hi Campbell,

Before bonding a certificate to any kind of base, bear in mind that some certificates remain the property of the issuing body and are not owned, in the legal sense, by the recipient.

I keep two certificates on display, one with mat, and one without. The visual difference is so striking that most of our customers opt for the mat.

Sorry, I have never given much thought to spacing a cert off the glass. Is there a conservation issue here?
less

Framing Certificates

Post by less »

Hi John (Admin)

In the case of University Degree certificates there is definiately a conservation issue. Degree certificates can only ever be issued once so if one is damaged it cannot be replaced. Many bodies /organisations will not accpet a photocopy as proof, they want to see the original on those occasions that this is required. I'm quite proud of mine and would hate to see it lost before I move on.

Regards

Les Sutherland aka less
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

The way we frame certificates here is as follows:

1. If the certificate is only issued once, such as a degree cert, etc, we get the client to get it copied (professionally) and frame the copy
2. If the client prefers not to do it that way, we always use conservation methods and hinge the cert to an undermount, so its fully reversible, just incase its ever required.
3. We never or havent done for many years, frame a cert without a mount, after all the client went to all the bother of gaining the qualification, award, etc., we inform them that it would look better mounted.
4. For the past few years we have been framing certs such as degree certs, other qualification certs, using a 'Diploma Mount' (see Lyn Halls book on the Art of Mountcutting)
5 For most certificates that come on poor quality paper we dry mount them not with heat but with basic self adhesive board, this stops the cockle that will enevitly happen. We always inform the client that this is non-revesible first.

And finally, no matter what type of certificate we get in to frame, all customers are advised to have them photo-copied and the original kept in a safe place of their choosing, such as a safety deposit box (it has happened). We use the same advce for clients who bring in old phtotgraphs, for which we have no idea of value, etc.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre