Conservation issue??

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
absolute framing
Organisation: Absolute Framing
Interests: Reading the Lion Catalogue

Conservation issue??

Post by absolute framing »

hi all,

i have just joined, and my first posting is going to involve picking your collective brains!

i have a painting on 15mm M.D.F. with the painting running to the edge of the board and over the side. I am box framing it but can not use a 18mm small box slip as this will obscure the work. I have built my own inner box, using 3mm M.D.F. backing and and sides with a 40mm slip, all glued, primed and painted. My issue is attaching it to the frame. As i am currently "studying" for my G.C.F. i am aiming to have all my frames at a commended or conservation level....clients permitting!.
As all processes need to be Reversible i was considering using one of these methods to attach the 15mm board to the back of the frame (NOT GLUE)

1 - Screwing a 12mm screw through the back (3mm) and into the M.D.F. Bd. 9mm.....leaving the screw 6mm from the face of the painting ( close i know)

2 - prefered (by me) 8mm staples in through the back (3mm) and into the M.D.F....leaving the staple 10mm from the face of the paintind (i have tected this on some off cuts and holds well)

Both are reversible, but will leave small holes in the back of the 15mm M.D.F. art work. is this an issue?

all comments will be welcomed and appreciated, especially from "square frames" as i am going to do a course with you in November. Whether it is a "fine tune" or "total overhaul" we will see :D

kind regards, steve

i would attach an image if i knew how...

thanks a million John! not very computer literate!
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Hi Steve,

Great to have you on the forum.

I'll leave it to others to get into the nitty-gritty of your question. However, if you want to include images with your posts, it is a two step process.

First upload your image to your website, or if you do not have access to a site, you can use a free service like Photobucket.

Then within your post you can include the url. eg: -

Code: Select all

[img]www.mysite.com/images/myimage.jpg[/img]
If I can be of any further help, please let me know
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Hi Steve

Welcome to the Forum

I have a problem with what you are thinking of doing……….MDF would not be considered a Preservation/Conservation material……asides from the issue of the MDF used for the painting (this is an artists choice) there is the issue of using MDF for part of the frame package…..you might need to rethink the materials you are using in the frame package..

A sink mount/mat may be the way to insert the painting into the frame package…......you can see details here http://www.nedcc.org/plam3/tleaf410.htm

Steve I have retired from framing to concentrate on an other business, I notice you are in Dublin…..if you want to give me a call on 087 2575059 I would be more than happy to share some of what I understand about Preservation/Conservation framing……though you are taking the right approach to entering the framing business by taking a course with Steven…….he is a very knowledgeable guy….and wont steer you wrong…..

The best of luck with your further venture…

Regards

Dermot
absolute framing

thank you for the info john and dermot.

i have posted the image temporarily on my "website" (very loose definition)
it is on the bottom right, of the first, and only page.

thanks again, steve www.pictureframing.ie
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Here is the code that would have included your image in your post just like this.

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.pictureframing.ie/mdf.JPG[/img]
absolute framing

Thanks john,

i have posted the image.

by the way, on a different matter - i just got your etlite program yesterday, and its great!

very impressive, and a customer loved it - no price haggling! (i loved it, i mean :wink: )

steve
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Many thanks for the plug Steve.

Your cheque's in the mail. :wink:
More So

Post by More So »

I would go for screws to secure this type of work, it makes for easier removal in the future.

I would be happier using 10mm in this case though.
You will never get the last word on a belligerent buffoon