Any electricians here?

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Roboframer

Any electricians here?

Post by Roboframer »

All our lights just went out, but the fuse did not trip.

We have a fuse box with a row of trip switches, lights, sockets, etc. Plus a main trip switch - very sensitive, usually if a bulb pops it trips the main switch. We thought we'd just have to flick the relevant trip switch back up but they are all still up.

If the fuse has blown instead of tripped wouldn't that also cause the switch to trip anyway.

Bit worried about taking the switch cover plate off. Managing OK with lamps - bar the bog!

Edit - bog sorted with extension lead - (why is Pat suggesting I take a bath when we have this problem to sort!)
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

don't know about the electrics but candles and rose petals floating on the water............
Alan
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well, we took the cover plate off the fuse box - to the right is a load of wires with the coating melted off and some exposed copper ones that are green - as in corroded!

Only 5 years old too. :shock:

We'll get a sparky in 1st thing tomorrow.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

fineedge wrote:rose petals floating on the water............
Done that one - but they were included in some bath salts - it's a whirlpool bath - clogged up the intakes.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Robo. Is the meter one of those in a box outside? I say this as I have and it caught on fire one day when I put the kettle on. I would never have noticed if I hadn't happened to take some rubbish out while the kettle boiled. Smoke was pouring out. These meters are the other side circuit-wise to the fuses/trips, so a fault won't blow your fuses. Turns out the meter had been replaced recently by a bunch of cowboy sub-contractors who neglected to tighten a screw which caused arcing under load.
Were you using a lot of power when it happened?
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

Robo

Sounds like a major local power surge, or the corrosion has fused some of the circuits inner components.

Only five years old; all consumer units now are fitted out with MCB's (miniature circuit breakers) each with their own circuit to protect, along with a large general trip switch.

If we get one of our small halogen lamps blow in the kitchen it will trip the ground floor lighting circuit only, before the main trip gets the chance to. Then just flick back on. If the problem persists there's a circuit fault.

Hope your Spark sorts the problem.

Foxy
Measure twice - cut once
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Everything is indoors.

We were lucky not to have had a serious fire - arcing loose wire - complete new fuse box and more. Funny we never smelled anything or saw any smoke - the securing screws were welded in. Electrician that fitted it all 5 years ago is no longer trading - she (yes, she - nothing wrong with that) also re-wired our shop :shock:

Guy was here briefly at 9am then came back 10 - 4.

He is in the process of opening a shop a few doors down from ours - maybe we'll get a discount.

So - what do you think the bill is going to be?
markw

Post by markw »

Was Pat suggesting you stand in the bath whilst inspecting the electrics? :shock: :shock:
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Roboframer wrote:... also re-wired our shop
I know this is probably a given, but please put my mind to rest by telling me that you're getting the shop double-checked!
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

markw wrote:Was Pat suggesting you stand in the bath whilst inspecting the electrics? :shock: :shock:
No - it was something about a 5 bar electric fire and isolating the circuit breaker - beats me!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Moglet wrote: I know this is probably a given, but please put my mind to rest by telling me that you're getting the shop double-checked!
R U avin' a laugh? What better way of clearing Pat's clutter 8)
markw

Post by markw »

wellington boots and thick rubber gloves may be another warning sign.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Funny you should say that - did wonder why that was needed over a wetsuit mind!