PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
absolute framing
Organisation: Absolute Framing
Interests: Reading the Lion Catalogue

white core mountboard

Post by absolute framing »

Hi all,

A little question on the COLOURMOUNT range of WHITE CORE - 300 SERIES - CONSERVATION NONACIDIC CORE AND BACKING.

After reading the FATG study guide and Vivian Kistlers - Conservation Framing, i still am no wiser in the above series of colourmount mountboard.

Does it Really do , "what it says on the tin" or is the 600 SERIES the way to go.

Some customers like a bit of colour in their mounts, and i would love to be able to oblige them - rather than its "off white, white or cream i'm afraid" :?

later, steve
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Colourmount

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

Colourmount boards are excellent and have an excelent choice of colours, etc. According to the latest swatch I have, the 300 series has Conservation Core and backing, so not the facing paper, the 800 series is Conservation board, from backing, core to the facing paper.
Personally I would go with the 800 series, and start as I meant to go on, with Conservation board.
Guild standards for Conservation state that only Conservation board can be used for that standard of framing, which the 800 series is best placed to fulfil that requirement. Sisslings in Dublin carry the range in stock.

Hopefully Keith Hewitt will also comment on the boards, etc.

Hope that has helped?

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
markw

Post by markw »

If you want good colour choice try the Bainbridge Artcare range.
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

MOuntboard

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Markw,

I spoke to the Neilsen rep whilst on holiday in the Brecons, not long after he left you that day...that was back in August...guess what? Still no follow up, from the email I received to say there would be follow up? I agree there is a huge colour range. I used Bainbridge boards once to do my GCF testers exam, I found them as good as any! I actually made my 2 pieces in another framers workshop in the Brecons and she only uses Bainbridge.

But I think mountboard is a personal choice, we use what we have been used to, its hard to change from one company's to another. I would like a board that 48 x 36...but alas not possible..apparently.

On a personal note about mountboard, I use both Colourmount and Arqadia, mostly Arqadia in my workshop, but have both for in the framing school. Students then make up their own mind. Mostly students that come up to me from Eire use Colormount, as they have a stockist there in Dublin, so they can just go and collect it, to get boards from Arqadia, they have to ring up, open an acount and wait for a delivery..........god that must be a hardship!

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Select Colourmount "300" series for colour and co

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Colourmount Board "300" series has 67 colours that are F.A.T.G. CONSERVATION quality in size 815 x 1200mm.

Additionally there are another 44 colours that are white core, but not conservation quality. Its mostly the dark colours and the metallics.

As Absolute Framing correctly pointed out the "600" series has only 4 colours. They are also Conservation quality, with the added feature that the core is the same colour as the lining papers. So any bevel edge looks seamless.

"800" series is standard cream core quality. It is not conservation quality.

Colourmount introduced a new colour chart Feb 2005 that shows all the colours in an easy to understand format. The conservation quality is shown seperately from the standard quality. On the back of the chart there is a lot of useful "not too technical" information.

Anyone wishing to obtain the latest colourchart should ask their local supplier, or contact the mill direct sales@slater-harrison.co.uk

Colourmount also has a very useful leaflet entitled "Time to Change"
which has some useful hints and tips about the benefits of discontinuing the use of cream core. Also available from your local stockist.

Keith Hewitt
Slater Harrison
Macclesfield
absolute framing
Organisation: Absolute Framing
Interests: Reading the Lion Catalogue

Post by absolute framing »

many thanks keith for clearing that up.

regards, steve