whats in a name?

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
markw

whats in a name?

Post by markw »

I had an original Elizabeth Blackadder watercolour in for repair - Big picture - water gilded frame - expensive looking mount - and suitably grand Cork Street address. Obvious problem number one - the watercolour had been stuck onto the mount with masking tape - it has dried out and the picture had slipped. on opening the frame the catalogue of bad practice was all here to see - glass too tight - in fact every element was forced into the frame. Original dry mounted - so little care and attention for a wonderful watercolour sold at a prestigous gallery - I suppose the only thing that can be said is that no claims had been made as to its framing standard - I just find it amazing that an obviously expensive and competent framing job as viewed from the customers perspective - is such a rip off when viewed from the framers perspective. (it was framed in 2000 )
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Mark,

Good to talk to you the other week, looking forward to next year's trip. I already have a PowerPoint thingy (presentation) in progress. At least I have plenty of time to get it right.

Again, and I have always said this and willcontinue to say this......it beggars belief what some framers are doing to customers work, They just dont give a damn, all they worry about and want is the money and a huge amount of it per frame, not giving two thoughts, 1 to the artwork and 2 to the customer. Travesties like this will continue unless a nationwide awareness programme (doesnt have to be by the Guild) is launched to educate the framers, (thats a governing bodies's responsibility) and inform the paying public..... (this is our own responsibility)

I believe that its the customers that need the most information, simply because you can inform, educate or try to educate framers until you are blue in the face, and at the time spending huge amounts of money, and if they dont want to read or listen, what can we do? Customers on the other hand are easier to educate, basically its their artwork, their inheritance, pieces they have spent hard earned money collecting, etc., they have the empowerment to say to any framer.....is it being framed to a certain standard and in a certain way......?, and of not why not? They can then choose who to go to. Nothing as bad as loosing a potential customer, is there?

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre