Things we wish we could avoid doing.

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Things we wish we could avoid doing.

Post by Not your average framer »

One of the jobs I find a PITA is removing the old paper and rabbit skin glue from the backs of old frames. I did one today which took for ever, due to an enomous thinkness of very well stuck rabbit skin glue.

Personally, I don't like the idea of sticking new tape over a load of old stuff, so I always get back to the frame so I can be sure it will stay stuck.

I've often wondered if others can be bothered to do the same.

Have you noticed that no matter how old the glue, as soon as you wet it, you instantly get that horrible rabbit smell. Having a friend who has a pet rabbit I can easily recognise the smell.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

One of the things that really makes me cringe is cleaning out cobwebs and spider bits from the back of old frames. Makes my flesh absolutely crawl. Yuk.... Blyeahhhh... Hssssssss.... :evil:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Know wotcha mean. :? It's amazing what gets into frames over the years.
When it comes to getting old tape off, an offcut of glass works a treat. Find a bit with a sharp edge and you can literally pane it off dry, which avoids all the ickyness associated with soaking it. Also works well at removing the residue of m*sking tape without solvents, so you can put some nice licky-sticky on afterwards. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

Wow, I haven’t run across any animal hide glue in a long time. I sure don’t miss that stench.

I don’t so much mind unfitting a frame which has been sealed with the white PVA stuff. I just spritz the back with water and it gets gummy enough to scrape up with a spatula. You’ve gotta let it dry a bit before you can re-fit it, but it beats having a bumpy surface.

What I absolutely hate is when the backing was applied with ATG. Simply scraping it doesn’t do a whole lot; you’ve got to soak it with lighter fluid and that leaves you with a more horrible soggy mess.

What is the most interesting thing you’ve found in the back of the frame? (I don’t find spiders interesting anymore – just gross and disgusting!).

I opened a frame package and found the front page of a Boston newspaper dated 1906. In a classified ad on the front page was a notice placed by a guy willing to trade 1-1/2 acres of land in downtown Boston for a bicycle! I heard on the news a few weeks ago that land in that area is now selling for over $1,000 / square yard – if you can find any.

I often wonder whether he ever got that bike.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I hate having to give a rebate when I find a rabbit in the rabbet :shock:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

prospero wrote:When it comes to getting old tape off, an offcut of glass works a treat. Find a bit with a sharp edge and you can literally pane it off dry, which avoids all the ickyness associated with soaking it. Also works well at removing the residue of m*sking tape without solvents, so you can put some nice licky-sticky on afterwards. :D
Hi Propero,

Didn't work this time, this stuff was solid. The original framer wanted to make sure. This one took over an hour to do - Very annoying!

In the end the bits which would not budge were blasted with the heat gun, I found out that by completely overheating the stuff and lefting it set again, it can become crumbly and will then scrap off like powder. I still wet it afterwards and clean any residue off and make sure that I get right back to the frame, so I've got something solid to stick to.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Re: Bill's olde newspaper. I used to find lots when I did a bit of work for a antique dealer. Never chucked 'em out.

The Times. 1926: Classifieds.

Housemaids wanted. Salary £28-40 per annum (inc full board)

Houses for sale: Detached. Wimbledon area. £1250 freehold (£100 deposit)

Best one I remember.... Country estate. Can't recall where, but home counties. Enormous house. Sort of place you could live in all your life and never go in all the rooms. 5000 acres of land with woodlands, shooting, fishing, etc. Oh yes. And the local village thrown in.

£36,000 (ono)

Add ,000 and treble it today's prices I'd say. :shock:

But you don't have to go back that far. I found an old car mag once 1963.
New Jag MkX about £1500 new. Triumph Herald £411 17s and 6d.

In 1969 a video recorder (open reel tape) was £2500. A new Range Rover £1970. :D
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

Whenever I find a newspaper in the back of an old frame, I always return it to the customer. They are usually delighted to find a time capsule has been put in their work. helps to date it to. I've often wondered why framers did put newspaper in. Once found a live woodworm in the back of a picture. it had chewed right through the mount and the picture. Luckily I was dismantling the picture in the customer's garage because I suspected there might be a problem. Bless her, she had thought the picture was a valuable watercolour. It was a very faded print, fit for the bucket, which was exactly where it went.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I wish I could avoid emptying my morso shavings - I've made it easy by raising the whole thing and fixing a tray underneath, but it's still a pain - plus I forget and then the tray won't come out and I have to empty it by shoving a dust pan under it a-la fire grate.

I think AGA and Morso should get their heads together!
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Things we wish we could avoid doing?

Two words: Credit Control. :twisted:

It's the thing I hate most about being a one-man-band. If I had an underling, it would definitely be their job... :wink:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

Paying the tax bill.

[see how I write the cheque through gritted teeth]

Try using a used blade from your mount cutter to get the old glue off the back of frames. Hold it upright and scrape it along the frame. Done in a few minuets.
(it might make your thumb ache a bit though)

Robo, have you got a waste chute for your morso? You can buy them or make one your self.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Removing Morso shavings - we have cut down a plastic swing top bin to fit the waste chute - Lion part no 2914 on page 17 £27. Most of the waste ends up in the bin which makes emptying it a lot easier. You still have to pull the machine out and get on your nads and kness occasionally but it does make the job easier.

RobinC
prospero

Post by prospero »

I just mucked out the Morso. Jammed a nice splinter right under my fingernail. :evil:

Stretcher Bearers!!!!!
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

I made my own waste chute out of a bit of 2mm MDF board and some box frame. The chippings fall nicely in to a plastic stacking box.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

RobinC wrote:- we have cut down a plastic swing top bin to fit the waste chute - RobinC
SNAP! :D
vfmarky

Wot a waste

Post by vfmarky »

I've got a 20lt empty plaster bucket that lurks under the chute of my Cassese CS55M. Most of the merde goes drops in...
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space...
vfmarky

Post by vfmarky »

...goes drops...oh sod it pour me another red
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space...
kaptain.kopter

Post by kaptain.kopter »

vfmarky wrote:...goes drops...oh sod it pour me another red
At 07:47 in the morning?

I'm impressed.
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

www.martinchadwickphotography.com
kaptain.kopter

Post by kaptain.kopter »

kaptain.kopter wrote: At 07:47 in the morning?

I'm impressed.
Just realised you're in Australia, so with time difference,not that impressed

Memo to self, should read the whole message in future
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

www.martinchadwickphotography.com
prospero

Post by prospero »

kaptain.kopter wrote:
And they have Christmas in the summer when the shops aren't so crowded. :D 8)