new startup- which equipment brands to go for????

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
ruimar

new startup- which equipment brands to go for????

Post by ruimar »

hello , i am just about to startup my own home framing business and i need to buy all the relevant equipment. As for the mitre guillotine, one person is recommending a morso f and the other is recommending the framers corners guilotine. Has anyone got any experience of the framers corner guillotine?? also, the underpinner (FRAMER TPB Pneumatic Underpinner) from framers corner or the cassess c89, which one would people recommend , any opinions?? I need some expert advice on this before i spend the money.
kaptain.kopter

Post by kaptain.kopter »

I think I read somewhere that Osgood recommends the Cassesse underpinner. He did beat about the bush a bit but that was the impression I got. :lol:

Don't know anything about the Framers Corner equipment but I know that Morso's are pretty indestructable unless I'm using one.

You can pick up a Morso for around £700 on ebay. Alternatively, give Pete at Framers Equipment a call. They handle a lot of 2nd hand equipment and even do a full start up pack.

http://www.framersequipment.co.uk/

They were very helpful when I started. Thought I'd get that in before Mitreman came along!!
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

www.martinchadwickphotography.com
ruimar

Post by ruimar »

thanks kaptain.kopter , i was also looking at the casses c88 foot operated underpinner. Im just a bit weary that the cable would snap as its foot operated.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Only my opinion, but unless you are doing quite a high volume of work a manual underpinner is maybe preferable. Less to go wrong. Changing a cable shouldn't be much of a prob. (providing you have spare). Not used the cassese manual, but find a manual (or should that be pedual?) gives you more 'feel'. And if your compressor throw a wobbly, you are doubly knackered. :?

As for the chopper. Go for Morso every time. It's tried and tested. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

The cables do snap from time to time, but they are easy to replace. Even I, a mere woman, can do it. Lion sell them for £7.85 plus Vat, so it's not a costly repair. Sometimes think I'll go back to my Cassese CS88 which is living in my garage at the moment. A lot less hassle than my Framer's DMC which is quite badly behaved at times.
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

OOps! Grahame hasn't had a sex change, before you all start spreading rumours :) Didn't check who was logged into the shop computer.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Mary Case GCF wrote:OOps! Grahame hasn't had a sex change, before you all start spreading rumours :) Didn't check who was logged into the shop computer.
Well it would explain the Rick Astley thing..... :?
ruimar

Post by ruimar »

thanks people! i have been offered a secondhand morso f, is there anything i should look out for on secondhand ones, any problem areas?
prospero

Post by prospero »

You are fairly safe with a Morso. It would have had to have had some serious abuse to damge it more than superficially. (Dropped from a great height, buried in swamp for 50 years, etc ). You can tell how much work it has done by the pivot points on the pedal bar. If the holes are oval, it has had a hard life. Also check the cutter block to see if it has ever seen an oilcan. :wink:
ruimar

Post by ruimar »

the model ovals, the more work its done from the foot wearing it?
ruimar

Post by ruimar »

oops.....i meant o type - the more ovals...
prospero

Post by prospero »

Yep. I have seen machines that are ex-contract framers where the holes are nearly worn though to the outside. :shock:
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

How old is a Morso

Post by Keith Hewitt »

If you know the Serial number of the Morso you have been offered then you can go to MORSO's web site and find out when it was made

http://www.morso-guillotines.dk/

You have to click on "History" (or something like that)
The only thing it cant tell you is how much wear its had!!
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

I tried to edit my previous post
Morso web site
You have to click on RESOURCES first and then the History icon appears down the left side.

Message for John
Whats happened to the EDIT thingymajig??
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
ruimar

Post by ruimar »

excellent, thats for that
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Ruimar,

Where anything can affect either quality or reliability, try and buy the best you can afford.

It's not for nothing that most framers on this forum have a Morso guillotine and a Cassesse underpiner. They are both tried and trusted quality kit.

Don't worry about the cable on manual Cassesse underpinners. I've got one and in almost four years of service, the only thing to fail was the cable. It's only happened once and it was cheap and quick to fix it.

If you haven't had any training yet, it's a good thing to do before getting started and as some trainers are also major equipment suppliers, you might treat it as a chance to try out various items of equipment while you're there.
ruimar

Post by ruimar »

yeah, i totally agree. I did a training course and I used a morso guillotine and casses unperpinner. I felt comfortable using them. It's just where I did the training they are trying to sell me different brand equipment than i trained on. I think i will just go for quality equipment.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

2nd hand Morso

Post by Jonny2morsos »

If you are buying a Morso 2nd hand check it has genuine Morso blades. They will be stamped with the makers name and the month and year of manufacture e.g. 06/07 (both should match) Check there is some "meat" left on the blades as each sharpening takes a little away each time. A new set of blades will set you back abot £130 + VAT. The left hand support I find useful as well as the waste chute agian you will have to stump up more cash if it does not have these. Try framing equipment suppliers for 2nd hand equipment then you know it has been looked over and has some sort of gaurentee.

For the price you probably can't beat a Cassese manual underpinner. Worth keeping a spare cable and hammer as if one of these goes it will always be Friday before a bank holiday and you cannot order a spare till Tues!
ruimar

Post by ruimar »

thanks for the advice jonny!!