Undermounting

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Pizmo

Undermounting

Post by Pizmo »

Hiya.... this is my first post so be gentle with me ......

I have been reading the posts on this site and its great for those of us just getting into framing ....

The thing is I am so new that I don't understand some of the things that are being mentioned so I thought I would bite the bullet and embarass myself and just ask........

Two things I have no idea about (well thats my first lie ... there are actually lots but I'll start with 2..).... the first is 'undermounting' (as opposed to 'mounting'?) what does this mean? The second is 'spacers' .. I take it they are things placed between the glass and the picture. Trouble is I don't know if they go between the glass and the mountboard or the mountboard and the picture. Also what are they made of and what do they look like?

Is there anyone that can find the time to explain what these things are please?

Thanks in advance :oops:

Pizmo
Framing Norah

Post by Framing Norah »

Hi Pizmo,

An undermount is simply a piece of mountboard that goes under the work being framed. Often the undermount is larger than the work attached, so that the mount can be seen all around - often referred to as 'float mounting'. In the UK, 'mounting' usually means a window mount (a piece of mountboard with an aperture cut out of it).

Spacers can be used to separate the glass from the item being framed. If used for this purpose, they have to be narrow enough to be hidden by the frame rebate. Thin strips of wood are sometimes used, though for conservation purposes, better to use a more inert material. Also, spacers are often used between layers of (window)mounts - foamcore is very good for this purpose.

Welcome to the forum, don't hesitate to ask questions. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who are happy to give advice.
FN
Pizmo

Post by Pizmo »

Framing Norah

Thanks very much for your reply... I had an idea but you have made it much clearer! There are so many things to learn but at least I am enjoying myself (and annoying my poor long suffering husband).... If he stays still for long enough I will frame him too! :twisted:

I will keep plodding along and buying shares in plasters!

Thanks again

Pizmo