Good Idea?: 2" Border on Left and Right of Poster

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Fillie

Good Idea?: 2" Border on Left and Right of Poster

Post by Fillie »

Hello,

I recently received a black and white poster which I purchased on the internet. The dimensions of the poster are 24" x 32".

When looking in Michael's (our local Canadian arts & crafts store), I found a beautiful wooden frame on sale. Unfortunately, its dimensions are 24" x 36". This is the frame size largest size I can find.

So, this will leave a 2" vertical bar on the left and right side of the poster which will expose the background (paper or matting, I dunno I'm a framing newbie).

So in your expert opinions, would I be crazy for combining this frame and this poster? The poster was only about $25 so I really can't justify spending $100 on a custom frame. Any ideas?

Thank you.
bren

Post by bren »

In the US and Canada, 24x36 is the largest standard sized frame commonly available. The next size down from that is 24x30. While I never recommend to anyone that they trim their posters, the question is, can you live with the 2 inch gap on each side? It's a matter of standards. Will your standards accept the 2inches, day in and day out. Naturally, picture framers will, by and large, have a high standard of what goes on the wall, and a picture framer can often, in person, advise on good presentation. So, regardless of how much you spent on the poster, how important will it be in your decorating scheme, is it an important subject to you, is it just an image you'd like to see every day? Drymount, custom frame, with or without mats, spacer...these are all options. If you want that 25 dollars to be well-spent, do something to protect it, get in-person advice from a professional picture framer. And bring the poster with you! Can't advise knowledgably without. And save your receipt for that 24x36 in case you change your mind.
='.'=
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Another option to consider Fillie, is to have an even two inch border all around the image, not just on the sides which will not look good at all. This will only work if the poster will still look OK with 2in cropped off top and bottom.

However, I'm with Bren on this one, do not relate the cost of the image to the amount spent on framing it. A well chosen frame that complements your picture will give you pleasure for years to come, and will well repay the few extra $ you spend today.
mick11

Post by mick11 »

Not sure if this would work without seeing the pic., but you could perhaps use a white window mount with the 2"either side,none top and bottom except in the rebate. Then reduce the visual impact with 2 or 3 vertical black lines from very top to very bottom.
Mick
-----------------------------------------
The impossible I can do today,
Miracles take a little longer
---------------------------------------
markw

Post by markw »

Fillie - It wont fit. Take it to a profesional framer - tell them what your budget is and see what they can do for you. Many of my best customers came in saying that they didnt want to spend much - they soon realise that its worth spending a little more to get a great result.
Fillie

Post by Fillie »

Thank you all for your advice. I think you guys are right: if I cheap out on this then I will regret it forever. However, my budget is still preventing from getting this professionally framed.

I am also looking at learning how to frame things myself. I've looked at a few books and the basic process seems like something that I am capable of.