Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Inconcistency of moulding lengths

Post by Merlin »

Has anybody else suffered in getting shorter moulding lengths than expected.
I had an 8 frame order in the other day, 920mm X 740mm.
The moulding ordered is a fairly fast mover and normally comes in 3 metre lengths. So having worked out the lengths required I ordered, together with a lot of other 'top up' moulding lengths.
I was quite surprised to find that the moulding length for this batch was now 2.1 m. So now I am some 10 metres short. This would not normally be a problem, but this time I have had to do a re-order of the moulding which added a 'small order charge'. The supplier could not guarantee that I get the 2.1 metre lengths, more than likely it will be the 3 metre lengths. This is the problem It will have a different batch number and will have come off a different jig, there could also be a shade variation.

On checking the other mouldings in the delivery, I also found that what was normally supplied as a 2 metre length, in fact is now a 3 metre length and there is a definate difference is size and colour shades.

A very good start to the New Year.
John GCF
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

moulding length

Post by JFeig »

long time not talk, john

Just a second question.....

is the moulding a hardwood with a furnature finish or is it a "white wood" with a to look like ..... finish?

My hard woods (raw and varnished) are random length...... and the factory finsh moulding is rather consistant.

I would consider 2m sticks to be on the very short side...... almost to the point where I would reject the material.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Framing Norah

Post by Framing Norah »

I hate to get short lengths and always return them (provided, of course that they aren't for an urgent job).

When ordering, state the quantity that you require rather than the number of lengths, John, that way you will avoid such nasty surprises.
FN
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Silly really. I normally do order by the metre. Just in this case I was ordering a load of 'top up' moulding and that is easier on the daily audit sheet. i.e. if a customer picks a moulding, I just look and it shows 5 sticks etc.

Just with this moulding, it does normally come in 3 metre lengths, so I just assumed I would be getting the 3 metres. There you go.
Never Assume. it makes an ASS out of U and ME.

Then the supplier blames the manufacturer by saying. "Well even we do not know what size sticks we get, until it arrives".

Bad day. Was letting off steam and this forum seemed like the place to do it. I ordered well before the Christmas break. It arrived today. Customer wants the 8 frames tomorrow. We managed it Thankfully.
John GCF
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

length moulding

Post by JFeig »

I know of many distributors who will reject product if it not acceptable to their customers.....

To me 6 1/2 ft - 2m lengths are too short for framers for average size frames (up to 32 x 40 frames - one full sheet of board) ......... unless it is 1/2" - 12mm wide stock where small frames are the only use.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
less

short lengths

Post by less »

Hi John,

I have the same problem, mouldings have been appearing in shorter lengths and this has meant in one instance that I cannot complete a customers order. Not only were the two lengths I received only 1.8 meters long, I am also told the moulding is out of stock until March! I have one frame made and am 50cm short of completing the other. About to start begging from other local framers but don't hold out much hope.

Is it always this quiet at this time of year?

Les
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi John,

This is becoming more and more of a problem, and not just the odd isolated case. I have spoken to my supplier and he has lso informed me that he is getting quite a lot of moulding brought back as it is no use to man nor beast. I would only keep the shorter lengths if it was for an urgent order, and only then after checking it was the same batch number.

Another thing that does worry me more is suppliers sending out moulding with differing batch numbers, not a lot of difference I know, but just enough to make it impossible to join a frame. I have been told when ordering to emphasis that the order has the same batch number, seems to be working....so far!

I normally use a local wholesaler, as its only 10 minutes away and very helpful and convienient. The problem with batch numbers can arise there, simply when they order....for example 5000 metres, they do not emphasis the batch number arriving, and even when a different one arrives to what they already have in stock, no stock rotation / contol takes places, so it gets mixed up, so we have made it a policy now to check each pack.

I ordered an extra 120 feet of a certain moulding about a year ago for an urgent order, which equated to 6, 2 length packs. The packs were lined up and opened as we cut them, but my sharp eyed wife (jeepers, she misses NOTHING) noticed the labels slightly different, and had a closer look. Out of the 6 packs, there were 4 different batch numbers, and none of it matched what I already had in stock and had cut. We had to ring another wholesaler, who was good enough to check his stock and batch numbers for us, and send us overnight, the right one.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre