Pop-up Windows for Web Links

Site announcements
Problems/suggestions/Questions
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Pop-up Windows for Web Links

Post by Moglet »

Hi J,

First, let me say that you are to be heartily congratulated on the sterling job you have done on the new forum, and I think it would be fair to say that everyone
appreciates all of the time and hard work that you must have put in behind the scenes to create the lovely new site!

And now to ruin it all... :oops:

I'd like to ask you to reconsider reinstating pop-up windows for links to external websites. I've tried the tabs, and find them very cumbersome indeed. In particular, I find it very frustrating when the browser window gets 'locked up' when a particular site is slow to load, leaving all the sites on tabs inaccessible until the page load is complete. In such instances, in order to continue browsing elsewhere on the net, one has to open another browser window anyway. This is leaving me with two areas to manage (tabs and taskbar).

Also, in general I find tabs far less intuitive than managing browser windows. I stll end up closing browser windows inadvertantly after browsing another site. Also, having to repeatedly click the Back button, or use the history list to return to the Framer's Forum makes for a very unfriendly user experience: it's so much easier to have a linked site appear in a new browser window, browse to one's heart's content, then close the new window when one is finished browsing. Another advantage of having a link appear in a new window is that one can arrange one's browser windows so that one can view the image and read the associated forum post simultaneously (not possible with tabs only).

:?: Does anyone else really miss the "link in pop-up window" feature?
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Re: Pop-up Windows for Web Links

Post by John »

Moglet wrote:Does anyone else really miss the "link in pop-up window" feature?
If you miss, if you really really miss the ability to open new browsers when you click on a link on the forum, then good news! There is a very easy solution - hold down the shift key as you click the link. :fixit:
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

That's much better! Thanks, J. :) (I'll have to practice remembering the shift!)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

With Safari on the Mac it's the command key to open in a new tab - no idea what opens a new window. The problem is I have to remember to hold down the command key.

As all the other forums I use automatically open external links in new windows I seldom remember than, with this forum - and only this forum, I have to do something different.

So, yes, I really miss the "link in pop-up window" feature.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

Linux works with shift.
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.