Straght cut help

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Enrique

Straght cut help

Post by Enrique »

Hi everybody, I am troubled in trying to cut a mount. I want to cut a window in the mountboard using a straight 90 degree cut. How can I make this cut happen?
I have a mount cutter Logan 650. Any other ways?

very apreciated

Enrique. [/url] [/quote]
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Hi Enrique,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry I can't help with the Logan 650, but just to clarify your question, do you want to cut a window in the mountboard using a straight 90 degree cut?
Enrique

Post by Enrique »

Thank you for your prompt replay. Yes you are correct.
thank you

Enrique.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

This is the link to the 650 instruction manual it doesn’t cover straight edged window mounts/mats…..but there is a section on cutting the mount to size …..not knowing the machine ……this may be a way of cutting the window……

http://www.logangraphic.com/manuals/english/650.pdf

When sizing with the 650 do you get a straight edge or a bevelled edge…..!!!!!!!!

The other thing you could consider is cutting the window upside down so that you get a straight edge to view…..

Rgs

Dermot

Edit by Dermot

PS

How old is your machine!!!!……it looks like the current machine has a combined straight and bevelled cutting head

http://www.logangraphic.com/products/bo ... edge.shtml
Enrique

Post by Enrique »

Many thans Dermont for the manual, it will help me a lot. I bought
a used mount cutter lat year. It came without the manual. Thanks.
When I sizing I get a straight edge, inside the window is bevelled.

Best wishes and thak you again
Enrique.

Dermot wrote:This is the link to the 650 instruction manual it doesn’t cover straight edged window mounts/mats…..but there is a section on cutting the mount to size …..not knowing the machine ……this may be a way of cutting the window……

http://www.logangraphic.com/manuals/english/650.pdf

When sizing with the 650 do you get a straight edge or a bevelled edge…..!!!!!!!!

The other thing you could consider is cutting the window upside down so that you get a straight edge to view…..

Rgs

Dermot

Edit by Dermot

PS

How old is your machine!!!!……it looks like the current machine has a combined straight and bevelled cutting head

http://www.logangraphic.com/products/bo ... edge.shtml
mick11

Post by mick11 »

Hi Enrique,
I'm not sure if you can do this on your machine it worked ok on my Frameco.

I marked a line at right angles from the tip of the blade to the outside edge of the straight cutter where I could see it, and use it to show me where the blade is in relation to my stop and start lines.

If this is not possible I can only suggest you use reverse bevels.
To do these, mark out in the normal way on the back of the mountboard, but place the fallout under the cutter bar so you are cutting on the border side of the lines instead of the fallout sides.
Mick
-----------------------------------------
The impossible I can do today,
Miracles take a little longer
---------------------------------------
Enrique

Post by Enrique »

Very apreciated, and many thanks for your advise. I think the miracle is around. thank you again. Enrique.
mick11 wrote:Hi Enrique,
I'm not sure if you can do this on your machine it worked ok on my Frameco.

I marked a line at right angles from the tip of the blade to the outside edge of the straight cutter where I could see it, and use it to show me where the blade is in relation to my stop and start lines.

If this is not possible I can only suggest you use reverse bevels.
To do these, mark out in the normal way on the back of the mountboard, but place the fallout under the cutter bar so you are cutting on the border side of the lines instead of the fallout sides.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Hi Enrique,

Here is my way. Your machine is not too disimilar from mine - squaring arm, cutting bar with straight cutter on right, margin guide.

Grab an offcut of mountboard. Say you need a 4" margin, set the squaring arm guide to 4" and also the start and end of cut stops - remove the margin guide, or move it out of the way, insert offcut face down as per below and cut two sides of the aperture as per normal, but with the straight cutter.

You will get overcuts like this on the front of the board, you don't want them! Measure them, mine were one eigth of an inch. Add this distance to your start and end of cut stops, cut next two sides.

BINGO!