Labels

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Labels

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm having trouble with labels again. Over the years, I've bought my labels from Able-Lable and Daymark Labels.

I've never had any problems with labels from Able-Label, but the choice of colours, etc. is a bit limited and they look a bit basic. However, the adhesive they use seems to stick really well, no matter what you want to stick them onto.

More recently since I wanted a better looking presentation, I've been buying my labels from Daymark. They've a nice range of colours and look really good. Unfortunately, the adhesive they use is low on grab and does not stick very well, particularly to Corricor Mk 1. The first lot of labels I had from them had the same problem, but when I complained they sent me some replacements with a better adhesive. Later I ordered some more in a different colour scheme, (black & gold for my all black backing jobs). I have only started using them this week and I've got the same problem again. This time they want me to send samples of the various backing boards I am using, but have not offered to replace it with the better adhesive as before. I am beginning to think it's time I found another label supplier, who uses a better adhesive as standard.

Can anyone please recommend a really top class label supplier, who's labels look and do the business?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
TheFrameShed
Organisation: The Frame Shed
Interests: Photography, Graphic Design, Digital Imaging

Re: Labels

Post by TheFrameShed »

In my previous life as a graphic designer we specced lots of labels for people but ALWAYS had them printed at a 'proper' printer, using litho and more recentley digital. The amount/strength of the adhesive is affected by the weight and quality of the paper stock used ie: the heavier the paper weight, the stronger the adhesive. If your suppliers are printing on standard 'copy paper' weight stock, there will usually, but not always, be an issue with adhesion. When speaking to a printer you need to spec a paper weight of around 120/130 gsm and asked for 'crack back' as these will be of a higher quality. The other benefit of using this method is that you then have complete freedom with respect to colours and size etc. With most printers having a hard time, the quotes you get may suprise you.
When asking for crack back be careful not to add 'sack' as well!!....You will get something completely different!

Any other questions regarding repro for printing please ask, I am more than happy to knock up a bit of artwork for you if you need it (print ready pdf)
All the best
Simon
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

My thanks to The frame Shed (sorry I don't know your name),

Your reply was very informative and helpful. In particular, it had not occurred to me that this might be a good time for looking for a really good quote. I must see what kind of deals are out there!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
markw

Post by markw »

print your own - and customise each one. I use a Seiko smart label printer - the labels look professional and you can include customer data on each label..
The Crofter
Organisation: Sutherland Arts & Crafts
Interests: Photography

Post by The Crofter »

I use a Brother label printer. Very good machine with easy load rolls of labels, allows printing of one label if required. PC software included which (suprisingly) works very well. The only problem is that the labels will fade in bright sunlight. This probably applies to any thermal label printer.
Pat
markw

Post by markw »

Crofter - the Seiko labels will fade in strong sunlight - but I assume that most people keep the back of the frame out of bright sunlight - so dont rate it a real problem. I use the labels all over the place - pricing prints and pictures - adding my address details to brochures - address labels and more.

The two drawbacks would be: Thermal printing can fade - but labels not normally in bright light.
If you purchase Seiko original labels they are expensive - the last batch I purchased came from Poland and were half the price of original labels.

The big advantage is that you can put a reference on each label - I put the customers invoice number. If I have just reglazed or repaired a pic - then the label reflects that - framing for an artist - then I put the artists name - and keep my details a little less prominent. No excuse to not be able to identify that frame that's been awaiting collection for months.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

The Crofter wrote:I use a Brother label printer.
Which model do you use?

Seems to make more sense if labels can be customised to include extra data e.g. date, invoice No. etc.

Thanks.

John.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

I used Daymark labels for a number of years and found exactly the same problem. They did not stick to the back of pictures. Especially on Corri Corr Mk3. I did question this with the makers and they said that the glue loses its stickiness over time.
That was a great help.

I went the same way as Mark, except I got the Brother Thermal label printer. Which has so many other uses within the shop.
I also agree with others, that the thermal labels do fade when in direct sunlight. However on the back of pictures that have been on the wall for some 6 months, they look as good as new.
John GCF
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

we use ABC labels http://www.abclabels.co.uk/ and have had many types and styles from them. excellent, very quick, good quality, helpful, efficient and nice people to do business with.
The Crofter

Post by The Crofter »

I use a Brother QL1050. Labels from http://www.labelking.co.uk/Brother-DK-Series-Tapes.html

Back of frames is fine and adhesive is good. I have quite a lot of small notebooks on display in the window (south facing) so that is where I noticed the problem.
Pat
Not your average framer

While I can see the advantages of thermal labels, I can't say that they look particularly impressive. I like style, class, impact and I don't mind paying for it, if it makes me look good. Labels without much adhesion, don't do it for me!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
markw

Post by markw »

Not your average framer wrote:While I can see the advantages of thermal labels, I can't say that they look particularly impressive. I like style, class, impact and I don't mind paying for it, if it makes me look good. Labels without much adhesion, don't do it for me!
must be missing out on style, class and impact. would love you to post an example of your labels so that we thermal philistines can see the error of our ways :)

I would agree that you cant get the same level of finish on a thermal labeller - design shouldnt be a problem as its only limited by your ability to create the design you want in a program such as Coreldraw. Impact - well that's a perceived quality but finish would be part of the perception. As for adhesive qualities the labels I use are very good - in fact I went over to thermal labels for the very reason that I was getting fed up with printed labels that failed to stick. I hope my labels have a certain style and class - but in the end they fulfil their function very well.
Not your average framer

Hi Mark,

I certainly did not wish to imply that anyone else was a philistine. To give you a little more idea of what I go for, my original labels (which I still use) are brown printing or glossy cream paper and my latest ones are satin gold metallic printing on matt black paper. The matt black paper is a perfect match for black mountboard behind the normal artcare foamboard and looks very different.

I'm into the Victorian / Edwardian look, which may not work everywhere, but it works where I am and I think reflects the image I want my customers to take notice of. As I'm sure you already aware I aim to be different (as my forum name tends to imply) and this is part of the way I promote myself and my business. In a world where so many are following the crowd or the latest in thing, being different is a good way of getting noticed.

This together with my hand-finishing and my old fashioned deep bevelled mounts, etc, etc, adds up to an exclusive and attractive way of creating your own niche in the market. I'll try and scan the labels later, but I'm not sure what happens with the metallic gold in the scanner.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
The Crofter

Post by The Crofter »

Probably worth mentioning that the Brother system is greyscale. Not sure if there is such a system as thermal colour printing. Of real use is the ability to link to a database, something simple created in excel will do. Having the ability to select a line of information from the database and automatically fill in fields on the label is a great timesaver. Very simple to create. Also you can create a set of labels that are stored within the printer so printing from another PC is possible as well. I would assume that other printers offer similar functions.

If I were in the market again I would probably get the model that can deal with two different label rolls fitted at the same time. Briliant for pictures and then addresses.
Pat
TheFrameShed

Post by TheFrameShed »

Another possible solution.... Use your standard inkjet printer and template designed in Word or similar(there is probably one built in), along with your choice from hundreds of papers to print your labels as required... quick spray of photomount, job done. Pretty sure photomount is not conservation but does this matter on the outer board?
You will get very close to litho quality if you use good paper but obviously it's a bit more time consuming than self adhesive labels. Just a thought.

PS you wont be able to print proper gold.
Simon
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

I may be mistaken, but don’t thermal prints fade fairly quickly even if they are not exposed to light?

Perhaps I’m just too lazy, but I have mine printed by a company over here that appears to be similar to ABC mentioned above. The adhesives are such that they cannot be removed without tearing the backing material of our frames. Most good labeling companies can reproduce your logo with very good detail.

Once you’ve paid the set up fee, in the long run, I cannot imagine that having them printed professionally (in quantity) would be a whole lot more expensive than having to buy rolls of printer labels. That, plus, your time and wear and tear on your printer.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
TheFrameShed

Post by TheFrameShed »

100% right Bill, ALL thermal printed labels/receipts will 'yellow' in time, even after just a couple of years and regardless of sunlight or not. Professionally printed labels will actually work out the best value once your material/time/hassle is taken into account.
Simon
markw

Post by markw »

TheFrameShed wrote:100% right Bill, ALL thermal printed labels/receipts will 'yellow' in time, even after just a couple of years and regardless of sunlight or not. Professionally printed labels will actually work out the best value once your material/time/hassle is taken into account.
If I had to list the most useful tools in my workshop the single label printer would be very close to the top of the list. I am not a great one for hassle - KISS being a mantra.

On good quality labels fading or colouring isn't a massive problem and I have labels on the back of my pictures at home that look fine - label colour good and the printing unfaded after several years.

It really comes down to your requirements - I like to put quite a lot of info on the label - and I have templates for several different labels. I'm considering weighing pictures at the moment and putting that information on the label. I sell loads of hooks to my customers having one of the nice display stands that Lion sell - most of the hook packs have weight recommendations - knowing the weight would be useful information.
Ian Goodman
Organisation: Ian Goodman Photography
Interests: Chinese Cooking.
Playing with my Grandchildren
Photoshop Training with Maitland U3A

Post by Ian Goodman »

I am different I use Avery labels and a Laser printer with Avery Design pro software - brilliant.

The label says who framed it: Moulding used, Matt boards used and the type of glass as well as the date this was done.

This label has an outside border with 1.85mm rounded corners and the PPFA logo bottom RH side of the label and if the adhesive is not strong enough smear a small amount of PVA glue on the adhesive side of the label then apply to your artwork - it will never come off then.

i have had customer after customer coming in saying you did a job for me 24 months ago so i can either look it up in myob or get them to have a look at the label on the back of the job in question.

So labels should go on everything
jeffm2009
Organisation: self employed
Interests: skiing, playing piano, photography, framing

Post by jeffm2009 »

I know this thread is a bit old but I just came across it and I had to say that Ian's idea is really innovative. It's a great way to keep your customers coming back and all it takes is a little label. I do something similar and it's pretty effective. I print my own labels on a laser printer and the actual labels come from a company called TimeMed. They generally focus on the medical industry but a label is a label so it doesn't really matter who their target market is. I order from them whenever I need a new supply of labels and I've never had a problem. Here's a link to their site: thermal labels. Just thought I'd pipe in with my opinion.