It's Official! I Most Definitely Am NOT...

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

It's Official! I Most Definitely Am NOT...

Post by Moglet »

... a polar bear.

It's cold enough here to freeze all ten wossnames off an Arcturan megadonkey. Dodged the snow till now, but it's floating peacefully past the windows now. What's the weather like in your area?

Isn't it strange that a source of childhood wonder and excitement turns into a real PITA for grown-ups... :(
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Roboframer

Re: It's Official! I Most Definitely Am NOT...

Post by Roboframer »

Yesterday morning I drove the 3/4 mile or so to work. The residential/side roads were lethal and as I approached the main road from one, sliding slightly down hill at about 8 mph, I realised I wasn't going to make it and had to slew across the road to avoid shooting across the junction!

ABS - traction control - bloody useless! (But I still weally weally wuv my wickle bwum bwum and if it came to it, at that sort of speed, I'd get out and make like a wheel chock!)

This morning I thought I'd take the mountain bike - fell off on my drive - it was even lethal-er this morning. So I walked - gingerly. 2 hours later the roads were not just thawed, but dry too!

We're in for the same again apparently - v bad for business, but as long as it catches up I don't care - we compare years, not months or weeks.
prospero

Post by prospero »

It had all gone this morning. :shock: Blazing sunshine. Not a flake. So much for the weather forecast. :roll:

You would think people had never seen snow before. :P

Now when I were a lad.........
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

Not too bad! The usual for this time of year.

Since the middle of December, except for one day last week, it hasn’t been above freezing. Today it is snowing again with the temperature about -10°C. Nighttime temperatures are in the - 18°C. range – just a bit nippy when I have to walk the dog especially if there is a breeze. But, I don't go outdoors without a T-shirt.

We’ve still got around 28 inches of snow on the ground (not much has melted for a while), so there is still ice on many of the side streets and on our driveway.

I hear London got a little dusting of snow and the city nearly shut down.

Bunch of wieners! :P
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Bill Henry wrote: I don't go outdoors without a T-shirt.
Attaboy, Bill! Brawn as well as brains! :lol:
We're just not geared up to cope with it over here.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
prospero

Post by prospero »

Bill Henry wrote:Not too bad! The usual for this time of year.

Since the middle of December, except for one day last week, it hasn’t been above freezing. Today it is snowing again with the temperature about -10°C. Nighttime temperatures are in the - 18°C. range – just a bit nippy when I have to walk the dog especially if there is a breeze. But, I don't go outdoors without a T-shirt.

We’ve still got around 28 inches of snow on the ground (not much has melted for a while), so there is still ice on many of the side streets and on our driveway.

Bunch of wieners! :P
I agree with you there Bill. Trouble is, in recent years we have been a bit spoilt with the weather. Some winters we hardly got a frost. Nowadays as soon as a snowflake appears it's shut the schools, shut the airports. Everything grinds to a halt. There are lots of accidents because people don't know how to drive in icy conditions. What do they think the Scandinavians do? All the time I was at school there was never a shutdown because of snow. And some years it used to drift to the top of phone poles. Not just a day or two but weeks on end. :shock:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

You w' lucky!

Ah yoost t' live in 't 60 ft snur drift. Well, for a few nights in S Georgia - which probably has a milder climate than New Hampshire, well, below about 1000 ft anyway. Pull up an iceberg I'll tell you all about the time two of us, in a snow hole, with ski poles sticking through the roof for air vents, dug about 8' up the next morning and then the same horizontal before breaking out. Could be some licence there, but it seemed it and panic/claustrophobia had set in long before we broke out.

It's like young Boris Johnson says - it's not worth investing in stuff that only gets pulled out once every 20 years - we suffer just as much, in different ways, in extreme summers - hardly anyone has air con, bar in their cars.

We just sit in the kitchen with the fridge open.
prospero

Post by prospero »

How embarrassing. :oops:
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

Last year about this time, one of our neighbors was burning some scrap lumber in his back yard. Since it was surrounded with snow, he went back into the house left the fire to burn itself out.

It was so cold that the flames froze. Unfortunately, his six year old daughter thought they were so pretty, she broke off a piece of the flame, brought it inside and placed it on her window ledge where it eventually thawed and set the curtains on fire.

Tragic!
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Moral of story .... never let an old flame near your curtains :giggle:
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

I don't know which one of the pair of ye is worse! :roll:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

Here it is just perfect but if I was forced to choose, I would rather take a week in London than a week in Melbourne. 45 celsius and 33 at night - sheesh! :sweating: :sweating:
Alan
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

33 at night! :shock: That must be horrendous. I'd take the ''chilly London' option, too, Alan.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

We were in Brum at Springfair and the Mrs got a bit twitchy about the weather so we set off for home at lunchtime. Left the NEC and took the motorway which was clear and roads stayed clear all the way home with a total journey time of perhaps an extra 15mins.

On the radio it said half the schools in Birmingham had shut due to the weather!

There is only one Birmingham in this country isn't there?

John.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

So - anyway - what's it easier to do, warm yourself up in cold weather or cool yourself down in hot?

I'd go for the former but unfortunately the wife thinks my methods are a bit primitive!
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

You really are on one tonight, Robo... :roll:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Jonny2morsos wrote:On the radio it said half the schools in Birmingham had shut due to the weather!
Might have been for economic reasons... :?
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
ross

Post by ross »

It sure is different on the other side of the world!!

Currently in Brisbane we are having days of low 30's max and low 20's min - tonight's forecast has it reaching 36 next Wednesday

Melbourne and Adelaide had a real heatwave last week - Adelaide was a few degrees hotter than Melbourne - Adelaide had 5 or 6 days of above 40, peaking at 45 and one night the minimum was 36

My son lives just out of Melbourne and he told me he recorded 49.8 on his verandah late one afternoon last week

So there is something different to ponder while you watch the snow flacks drift past

Ross