Would you do this?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Would you do this?

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Comments are welcomed from any framers who read this topic.
We are in the process of developing a range of S/A tapes. The origianl concept was simply to wrap round beep bevels, either over foam or woodpulp.. But the ever creative Pete Bingham has suggested other more enterprising uses as shown in the photos below.

[img][img]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/k ... 0B5766.gif[/img][/img]

This is using the tapes to cover a bevel edge.
[img][img]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/k ... 0B5773.gif[/img][/img]

Here you can see the tapes used in a more innovative way.

[img][img]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/k ... B57733.gif[/img][/img]

This is an enlargement. The big question is....would you have the time/skill to copy these ideas, or would you just use these tapes to wrap bevel edges?
Your views and opinions are welcomed.

Keith Hewitt
Slater Harrison
markw

Post by markw »

Keith - Complicated deep bevels so often look good as samples - its cutting the join end bevel - and making sure that the cut is clean through the multi material wrap that can present problems - having said that the skill in producing something different is often the ability to overcome the problems.

The wider SA tapes have many uses to the inventive framer - I often use linen tapes to line the sides of boxes - tape up the back double sided frames - black tape to line the inside rebate of mirror frames - as well as deep and not so deep bevels.
absolute framing
Organisation: Absolute Framing
Interests: Reading the Lion Catalogue

Post by absolute framing »

Hi Keith and other forum members.

I have been experimenting with your new tape and find it very handy.

At the moment i am using it on slips for som box frames. I normally stick mount board to s/a 3mm foam for some of my slips. With your new tape i just stick it too 5mm foam. This is easy, i just tape it to the edge of a large sheet, trim on my wall-cutter and then cut at 35mm. So far so good.
This saves me using mount board and the more expensive s/a foam.

Having said this, it does depend on the retail cost of the tape! I dont presume i'll be getting free samples for life :?: :wink:

Important though that the mount and tape solours match. A reference number with the tape would be handy, too match it up with the matching colourmount mount-board :!:

A nice product to have in my armoury - will post photo of strips

Regards

Stephen

Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi Keith
I am still trying your tapes. As MarkW says, the black is very good for lining inside deep box frames.

However, I have tried and still trying to get a really good mitre join with your 'enlarged example' using 5mm foamboard as the outer sandwich to the inner barefaced wood.

That is not your fault, the tapes are cutting cleanly, its just a mis match of hard and soft medium and the Morso.
John GCF
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

How archival are they?
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Tech Support
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Keith, you have given us food for thought.

I am wondering, is there a technique for keeping everything aligned parallel to the edge of the mount as the various elements get built up? It would be great to have a step by step tutorial on this.

Any chance of using your powers of persuasion on Pete to encourage him to become a regular contributor to the forum?

Will these tapes be matched to your mountboard colours?
Keith Hewitt

Answering your questions

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Stephen at Absolute Framing - Dublin and John at Estlite - the 5 colours we have are all made from Colourmount cover papers so exactly match the mount board 801 Ivory, 864 Old Gold, 871 White, 872 Black and 981 Off white.

Johnat Roboframer and Osgood in Australia - these tapes are NOT archival. I understand archival to be water based and reversible. The paper is conservation quality, the adhesive is pure acrylic which is as near conservation as you can get being non acidic.

John at Estlite asks if there is technique for keeping everything alingned....We are thinking of making a DVD and then having it accessible from our web site. Anyone got any comments about this idea or suggestions how to show framers the many and varied possible end uses.

Keith Hewitt
Slater Harrison
markw

Post by markw »

Keith - the fact that you are using matching colours will make them very usefull for box lining etc. The suggestion of putting a video on your website is very good - very impressed with your pro active position - hope the feedback you get is valuable. Its always interesting to look at the number of times topics are viewed - there seem to be a lot of framers looking - and just a few commenting.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Keith - brilliant idea of the DVD show on your Web site.

So good to see at long last a distributor/supplier not being afraid of putting pen to paper or fingers to the key board.

Yes, you are trying to market a new addition to your inventory but it is encouraging to see that you have admitted that you are not framers and you are asking the 'end user' for feedback.

Congratulations to not only your company, but EstLite as well for taking the lead and asking what we would like. Unfortunately as MarkW states, a lot of people are sitting on the side line and 'reading' only. It would be nice to see if anymore distributors/suppliers follow your example.
John GCF
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

OK so I don't see a problem with putting these tapes directly against most artwork.

I'm sure they will sell very well and I hope they fire framers' imaginations, because, when it comes to creativity, your imagination is your only limit.
Keith Hewitt

Post by Keith Hewitt »

[img][img]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/k ... 0B5780.gif[/img][/img]

Here is another pic of something Pete Bingham did with the tapes.
Used the black tape to cover a plain wood. The other 2 he first covered bare wood with a gold or white tape, then painted it all over with Everest brown paint, then stippled it with black and red Everest paint, then a top coat of gold, which was then rubbed with very fine wire wool to expose the stippled colours underneath. It turns a cheap moulding into something unique.
But my question is..... " Would you do this?" The reason we need to know is that there is no point in making a DVD showing how to do something if hardly any framers are going to give it a go. So let us know your views and opinions please.

Keith Hewitt
Slater Harrison
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

It is unlikely that we would be creating any fancy effects, stippling and so on, as this is not something that we do much of using traditional materials. We do however do a lot of plain painted liners and fillets and would be very interested in experimenting with the tapes to replace the emulsion that we currently use.

That does not mean that we would be unintertsted in a video demonstrating how the tape might be used in more imaginative ways.
osgood

Would you do this?

Post by osgood »

Keith,
I think that some framers will use the tape for simple uses and others will use them for making fancy effects and others will not use them at all.
It would be difficult to get a true measure of numbers through any or all of the framers forums due to the fact that only a tiny percentage of framers use forums.
I guess the video would be costly for you to make, but if it included a number of snazzy techniques, it might inspire many framers to try some new things. It's my opinion that such a video could only be a benefit to the industry and to an indeterminate number of framers around the world.

I can't wait to get my samples to try them out and see what uses I can find for them. I would also like to discover what other, more creative people use them for.

I like Pete Bingham's idea of making fancy finishes, but that's not for me. It is way too time consuming for someone like me, who has had no experience in such finishing techniques. It would probably take me five weeks to get a finish just right.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Don't like wrapped mouldings!
Lemon_Drop

Post by Lemon_Drop »

I don't like wrapped mouldings either. :roll: As for turning cheap moulding into something unique, Pete Bingham's use of the tapes serves its purose, but
I dont think I would bother with that process, its to time consuming, its easier to use an antique gold moulding. You start with a cheap moulding and by the time you add in labour costs getting the finish right it becomes a moulding thats not so cheap.
:(
IanK

Probably not!

Post by IanK »

Keith
Like a lot of things this looks like a great idea, but I suspect that a lot of us guys and gals with a busy workshop might just not have the time - or space - required to do all this fiddly stuff. I've seen Pete demonstrate his techniques to our local FATG Branch (South Scotland), but I don't know anyone who is actually doing it on a regular basis. Might be good for you to try some market research via your wholesalers with guys on the road. They will know the people who are doing this kind of work already.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

On first seeing Keith's picture I almost made a post about how much I detest paper-wrapped mouldings, then on reflection decided that what we are seeing in the photograph is probably an (acceptable) inner decorative piece, which would go behind the glass, rather than an (unacceptable) outer frame.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I spent a whole week training with Pete Bingham paid for by the job centre when I was out of work and I specified that I only wanted training on hand finishing - nothing else! It was time very well spent and I had already done plenty of hand finishing before this! Almost 50% of my work is hand finished. Mostly washed Ash or Oak, but there's still regular fancy stuff too!

So would I use paper to wrap a normal frame moulding? Sorry, but NO - I dont think paper wrap mouldings create the right image and I'm not sure about durability either!

However, wrapping mounts, slips, spacers, etc? Yes, if it save time and looks good.

I can't see why I would want to paint over paper wraped wood when I can just paint the wood. Painting over wraped foam core bevels is another matter, but I'm still using up 600 ft of that cheap Simons plain wood slip clearance at 8p a foot.

Rose & Hollis have two nice deep flat bevelled slip moulding which look great when wrapped too! It's much quicker to wrap a slip moulding, cut it on the morso and join it on the underpinner than doing a foam core job, especially with a 50mm wide tape. The same applies to larger and deeper slips. Painting takes time - wrapping with tape is quicker! That's the big difference!

I don't know what a DVD or video would do for you Keith, but if you are looking for something to give you an edge, I think something very heavily textured for wrapping deep bevels should be quite interested.
Cheers,
Mark
osgood

Too much time involved

Post by osgood »

I got my sample of the tape mentioned by Keith Hewitt. What a kind man he is to send samples all the way down here to Australia.

I haven't had time to try them out yet, but will try making some deep bevels soon.

I would not use them for covering a moulding then painting them as someone else did. It would take way too much time and my customers would not be able to afford to pay for that.

I think they will be very handy for making some deep bevels and the black one will be good for inside and outside any raw timber shadow box materials. It would also be good to have the black one in about 4 inch wide for that purpose.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Many thanks for the generous samples Keith.

I have not used them in earnest yet, but I would suggest that they are individually boxed to protect from physical damage and also prevent the edges picking up dirt.