Cutting DiBond with Print already mounted

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Steven Yip
Organisation: Q Framing Pte Ltd
Interests: Picture Framing

Cutting DiBond with Print already mounted

Post by Steven Yip »

Hello everyone,

Recently, there has been a spike in requests for mounting of large scale photographs; sizes ranging from 40" x 60" to as big as 61" x 120". I use a roller laminator for the mounting and for these sizes, I will mount them on 4mm thk DiBond sheets.

Because of concern of the print slipping along the long length, I always mount the prints onto DiBond larger than the prints and then cut the DiBond down to size after mounting.

As it is difficult to get substrate cutters that cna cut comfortably lengths of 60" and beyond, I use a hand held saw that works on guiderails that are able to go beyond 4m length. However, when the saw cuts both the DiBond and the photo at the same time, the edges of the photo will always flare up. I wonder if there is a secret to achieving a nice and clean cut (like from a knife edge) when cutting with the saw blade?

Thank you.

Regards,
Steven Yip CPF
Singapore
stcstc

Re: Cutting DiBond with Print already mounted

Post by stcstc »

the way i do it

its i cut the diabond to size, then mount the print using a cold press laminator

i then use a tool called and imageedger to trim back the oversize of the print

s
Steven Yip
Organisation: Q Framing Pte Ltd
Interests: Picture Framing

Post by Steven Yip »

Hi S,

Thank you for your reply.

I just find it a little difficult to mount with the Dibond cut to size. If the prints is the same size as the DiBond, when we are inching the DiBond and the print through the laminator, we are also at the same time peeling the release paper off the mountng film that is already mounted to the DiBond. This action will lift just the two ends of the print up and away from the DiBond creating an unevenness to the print entering the roller.

How do you overcome this?

Regards,
Steven :head:
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i alway make the print maybe 10 mm bigger on all sides than the diabond

i nip the print and diabon in the rollers, then flip the print over the rollers.

i have a stand in from of my laminator to hold the print level with the rollers

i have my cutting table behind at the same height

this means i dont have to hold the diabond at all, put one hand on the print ontop of the rollers

and other hand is for running a tack cloth over the diabond to get rid of dust and dirt