How should I do this?

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

How should I do this?

Post by WelshFramer »

One of our donkeys is allergic to midges and we're plagued with them in this part of Wales. So we've just bought a house in a village in East Sussex (not at all near Robo). The wife is moving in with the donkeys and the dogs - well, the donkeys won't actually be in the house, of course. I shall be visiting frequently but I have to stay in Wales because I can't move the workshop to Sussex while property prices are so low.

Anyway, I thought I might pick up some framing work in Sussex and bring it back to Wales to do. I should be able to offer a two-week turnround and it might help to pay for the petrol I'll be using anyway.

Seems there's already a framer in the village with a frame shop and gallery in the high street.

The first neighbour who heard I was a framer was delighted because the guy in the village is c**p and ruined an old map of hers. The second person who heard about me told us that the village framer didn't like framing and didn't want to do it but his parents had bought him the shop and he had to stay there. Maybe that also explains why the shop always seems to be closed when we've walked past it.

So I'm thinking that maybe I can help this guy out. I don't want to work in his shop as I prefer working in my pyjamas - I'd want to bring the stuff back to Wales to do.

So I'm wondering how to approach this. Rather than just stick an advert in the local free newsletter I thought I'd introduce myself and offer to take some of the drudgery out of his life - at the same time as improving the quality of the framing he displays in his window (overcut and yellowing mounts and mitres that don't quite meet).

Going into his shop and saying, 'Look, we both know your framing is c**p - why not get me to do some of it for you and I'll take the money,' might not be the best opening gambit. So, I'm after a bit of advice as to how I should best approach this.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Re: How should I do this?

Post by Bill Henry »

I think you will have to tiptoe around on eggshells with this.

If his workmanship is terrible (e.g. if his mounts have wicked over cuts or you can slip a credit card through his joined corners), you might be able to convince him to let you do the cutting and joining.

If his designs are terrible, unless you are standing at the design counter with the customer, there is little you can do to keep him from choosing a bright red, suede mount with a black and white photograph.

If he is using duct tape on a £1200 antique, signed lithograph, there is probably no way you can convince him that he is wrong.

It would seem to me that unless he is overworked and understaffed, he would not wish to reduce his profits by sub-contracting his work.

The best suggestion I would have is to simply stop by his shop and introduce yourself. Start chatting about the weather, the economy, his shop and feel him out. You should get an idea fairly quickly to whether he’d be receptive to the idea of his farming out work or not.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
framejunkie
Organisation: framejunkie
Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR

Post by framejunkie »

I agree with Bill. But don't decieve him - introduce yourself as a fellow framer. Try and get him into a geek chat. If he's totally disinterested in discussing his work then the chances are that he's not enjoying the job.
Bill Henry wrote:If he is using duct tape on a £1200 antique, signed lithograph, there is probably no way you can convince him that he is wrong.
If that's the case he's probably a lost cause and should
Put the craft knife down and step away from the workbench :bandit:
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

I'm told that he comes from a rich family who thought he should be doing something with his life and bought him a framing shop.

Yet another of those unwanted Christmas presents, I guess.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status