D-Ring on backing board

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

D-Ring on backing board

Post by John »

I can't believe I'm asking this.

After all these years of framing, I have never before riveted D-rings to the backing board with a string between to hang the picture by. The moulding that I am using is unsuitable for screwing into.

The pictures are of various sizes, but no bigger than 12 x 16in (300 x 400mm), so I have no worries about the load bearing capability of hanging in this fashion.

Is there a quick and easy method for determining the location for the D-rings? I feel that there must be an easy way, as some framers use this method almost exclusively - so surely it shouldn't be that much harder than locating the position for screwing the D-ring into the frame.
markw

Post by markw »

Hi John
Not a method I use often - but needs must! I position the d-rings slightly iside where the tape will go - and just slightly lower than I would on the frame. I would make sure the wire is quite loose. - read an interesting post some time ago about tensioning wires - cord - whatever you use - tension it tight and the load put on the d-rings goes up by a huge degree - so keep it loose. :wink:
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

MarkW
Is this what you are talking about. Makes one think really.

John GCF
markw

Post by markw »

hi John - Yes thats it! My wires have been noticeably slacker since seeing this.

I once had a very large ash frame back in for repair - I had used nylon key blocks to join the frame and these had split in two and the frame had fallen apart (it was glued as well). I pondered the reason for this catastrophic failure and failed completly to understand what had gone wrong - customer comes back to pick up frame and complaines that my wire is loose "it has to be realy tight or it shows above the frame"
Fortunatley customer also friend and I knew that she was a flight engineer in the RAF - she had used all her mechanical know how to get the wire as tight as it would go = broken frame. I suggested two hanging points - supplied nails and laughed at customer.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

The big problem with military people:

No Slack allowed.
John GCF
markw

Post by markw »

:lol: