Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
stephen34
Organisation: Soggy Somerset
Interests: Photography

framing a very large photo

Post by stephen34 »

Customer has brought in a very large and very expensive black and white photo for framing. It measures 94 x 88 cm. I don't have the equipment or experience for this but would like to point her in the right direction. I think the best way to go would be to dry mount or laminate to a rigid back board. Does anyone in the Somerset/Devon/Bristol area have a machine to accomodate this size? Or suggest a diferent method?
framemaker

Re: framing a very large photo

Post by framemaker »

I think mounting down on aluminium/Dibond is the way to go if it is large and or glossy. If it is valuable I would take it to someone who has lots of experience and done it before.

This company keeps appearing on the google ads at the bottom of the forum pages:

http://www.kaymounting.co.uk/KM/Diasec_UK.html

worth having a look at their website for some ideas. I might get a small photo done by them one of these days to have a sample at the workshop...
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

diasec is a process to mount something to the back of acrylic

to mount to diabond etc, which is very popular for that kinda thing, is a cold press lamination job with doublesided mount film
IslandViewJake
Organisation: Frame One
Interests: Photography, Music, Travel

Post by IslandViewJake »

Hi Stephen,

The first thing that crossed my mind when reading your post was the point of the photographic print being 'very expensive'. The customer may have requested that it be mounted, but to my mind, that's a pretty good way to reduce any future value the print may have. Of course, if that's what the client wants, 'The customer's always right!'. :?:
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

From my point of view, that is a large photo; not, a very large photo. Last winter I had 4 photo images 48" x 96" to frame for an advertising agency. They were to be hung in their offices.

The real hard part of the project was delivery.............. After having my van xrayed I was allowed access to the basement loading dock where I had to unload the photos, find a substandard cart and transport them through a long series of winding corridors to a "freight elevator". The elevator was not much bigger than a broom closet! I had to keep the door open with one foot as I attempted to manhandle the photos one by one into position(they only fit vertically). All that time the alarm was sounding since I had exceeded the 30 second load time. Up I went to the 23rd floor where I had to remove the load into a narrow hallway leading to the main hall at that level. The 8' lengths barely made it around the corners. After I knocked on the door of the office with the first photo, I had 2 people assist in the retrieving of the 3 remaining photos from the freight elevator access hall.

As for "High Value" photos being permanently mounted - I rather not. But as has been said before, The customer is right, even when they are wrong.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
iantheframer
Organisation: is not my greatest talent!
Interests: photography

Post by iantheframer »

I too am concerned about the term very expensive. If the print is for instance a vintage black and white print by a famous photographer sticking it down will drastically reduce the value and the customer MUST be made aware of this. If they insist that you continue I would suggest getting written instructions from them stating that they wish you to proceed against you better judgement and are aware of the consequences

There are companies that will supply boards that are easily large enough to window mount this, if you want to explore that way of mounting it.
Ian
framejunkie
Organisation: framejunkie
Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR

Post by framejunkie »

framemaker wrote: This company keeps appearing on the google ads at the bottom of the forum pages:

http://www.kaymounting.co.uk/KM/Diasec_UK.html
Kay Mounting are the absolute Dons of mounting. I've seen quite a lot of their work and i have to say I've never seen an inferior piece of work

If the photo is valuable but not old, i would definitely recommend mounting. In recent years with the supposed improvement in the available materials it has become acceptable to use drymounts in a high-end fine art context. I've commissioned drymounts on works worth 5 figure sums. Bit scary, but it is now becoming accepted practice. Only use it if the item is replaceable though - its perfect for digitally reproduced images