Scaffolding.

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Scaffolding.

Post by Not your average framer »

Unfortunately the Landlord has informed me that there will shortly be scaffolding all over the front of my shop while painting and maintenance is undertaken. Apparently this is supposed to take 2 to 3 weeks to complete, so I'm assuming at least 3 to 4 weeks and I'm not looking forward to it!

This will also include repainting the signboard above the shop front, so during this time my business will be largely invisible. The owners of shop next door which tends to generate some useful foot fall have decided to close for the duration and go on holiday, which won't help either.

I'm wondering how to counter any negative impact on trade, but not coming up with much, so any good ideas would be most welcome.

While the outside is getting a face lift, I'm replacing the internal structures and fittings for both shop windows, as I'm hoping to make the most of the newly refurbished look when it's all finished.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Re: Scaffolding.

Post by Roboframer »

I'm thinking 'A' boards and 'Business as usual' boards - possibly some sort of great big banner over the front of the scaffolding - dual purpose - advertises your shop bigger than ever and stops the builders from letching to boot!

Also - depending on how much notice you have been given - some sneaky free advertising in the form of press releases etc. Maybe even some not-free adverising.

Must ask though - what sort of lease do you have - is it self-repairing? Are you a sub-tenant?

No way would my Landlord touch my shop sign and nor would I want him to!

If he wanted/needed to do things that need doing that are down to him and not me (not much then!) - then I'd be making it totally clear that he would need to be doing it in a way/at a time/whatever - that did not prevent me from generating his rent - and if he could not comply or compromise - then he could adjust said rent accordingly.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Not your average framer wrote:No way would my Landlord touch my shop sign and nor would I want him to!
Hi John,

I haven't got too much to complain about there. The sign board has been damaged by large lorries opening their back doors against it, when delivering to the business behind mine. He's also replacing some woodwork on the shop front where the old woodwork is getting past it. It should be really nice when it's finished.

The Landlord who is a good friend and couldn't be more helpful, is footing the bill for new sign writing and is willing to pay for more lettering than I already have, so it could be a good opportunity to improve my image.

I've got plenty of work right now, but I'm more worried about losing out on orders during this time and how this will impact upon cashflow.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

Could you buy a large canvas banner sign and tie it onto the scaffold above street level, but out of the way of the workmen?

Obviously, with your business name and, maybe something like “making it better for you!”
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
danchip1
Organisation: Devon
Interests: Doing the right thing
Cooking and eating curry

Post by danchip1 »

theres definately an advert for scaffolding at the bottom of this page,

now thats what i call technology, software somewhere in cyberspace tuning into what we're talking about and advertising accordingly,

scary stuff :evil:
danchip1
Cooking and eating curry

Post by danchip1 »

should i say WAS there, it got wind that i spotted it and scarpered!
prospero

Post by prospero »

Now we know what the Googlebots do. :shock:

Edit. The scafolding has gone. :arrow:

Now got ads for picture framing. :clap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

Tell your landlord you want the shopfront refurbished to look like this:

http://www.reedarts.com/worldsbiggestframe.htm
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Not your average framer

prospero wrote:The scafolding has gone. :arrow:
I think I'll be glad when I can say the same!

Mine is due to arrive in 2 weeks time. :cry:
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Never mind. Try plentyofishdotcom. :happy:
danchip1
Cooking and eating curry

Post by danchip1 »

Actually says plenty offish dot com lol :giggle:
prospero

Post by prospero »

I'm not in the advertising biz ya know. :cash: :cash: :cash: :wondering: :rofl:
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

What you need is a "Building Wrap".

These guys are customers of mine:

http://tlcsigns.co.uk/Buildingwraps.htm

Did us a nice banner a while back at a good price, before they were a customer so no favours done. Do say I sent you if you get in touch. Thanks.

John.
Not your average framer

I'm starting to make plans for a new look inside to go with the new look outside.

I'm completely replacing all the internal shop window structures, with new ones on wheels, so I can roll them back from the actual shop window and step into the gap to access and dress the window displays.

As I roll them back, this will give access to storage compartments under the front of the display, with storage for three changes of window display, so I can rotate my window display stock at least once per week.

The new window display units will be backed with shelves for ready made frames and mounts, with more shelves either side of the door as you come in through the front door.

The existing counter will be replaced by my newly accquired plan chest, which will be extended in height to include a design area working surface, a large magnetic easel (Viking Direct + some custom woodwork), at last a computer (old dinosuar type with windows 98), the keyboard set into the worktop. I hope to make the monitor visible through a 6mm glass window set into the worktop if this will fit, otherwise the monitor will be behind the magnetic easel, for a nice neat uncluttered look.

The dreaded day is getting nearer, eight days and counting!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

Well, I'm informed that the scaffolding is due to be removed early next week, which will be almost 2 weeks from the day it appeared. That'll be nice!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

With the scaffolding coming down, I thought it would be almost finished. WRONG! I now find that they are having to chip most of the concrete rendering of the front of my shop front so they can re-render it.

Unfortunately their efforts have revealed the need for some urgent remedial wood repairs as no one else was available I've been fixing the woodwork today. It's NOT been fun!

I now discover that the building is made of bits of granite and used to be an old devon cottage in the dim distant past. I've been asking how old the building might be, but no one seems to know.

It's definitely very old, but we are just guessing. It could perhaps be about 400 years old, or maybe more. We just don't know, but most of the town is very old indeed.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Here's hoping they don't find anything more serious Mark. Mind you, old buildings tend to be a lot sounder fundamentally than more recently built ones. Just need a bit more TLC. :)
My old workshop (down the road apiece) was a very old building. Early 19c I think. It was an upstairs room that had previously had may uses over the years. On the door in much painted over letters where the words "Army Cadet HQ 1940". :P The floor was on big oak beams and very bouncy. Worse thing was the wiring. I kept finding wallpapered-over round-pin sockets and the lights would flicker when I boiled the kettle. :?
Not your average framer

The scaffolding was due to come down today. Guess what? No it's not, now it's gonna be here for the rest of the week. I just knew it was to good to be true!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer