Quote for framing

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
geoscottrade
Organisation: geoscottrade
Interests: music, art, being creative

Quote for framing

Post by geoscottrade »

Hi I have a product I am looking at selling which will require a box frame. Initially I thought I could rattle them up myself, I have a NoBo saw and thought that was me half way there. You've probably guessed by now after doing some research that to provide a quality product which people will be paying for I wont be able to do this myself.

So I am looking for a quote on what a framer would charge for a box frame. Dimensions:
Glass: Length 11.5" x Width 8.5" x Depth 2.2"

I would like mount card to hold a photo 6.5" x Width 4.5" on one side and the other will have the 2" depth 7" x 5".

face on it would look like this, with a 2"-2.5" depth at the back.

I think my product would sell well in my area, I have priced all my materials, advertising etc but the frame has been a problem since anywhere who offer the service offer them at steep prices which would take pretty much all my profit from the service. So im looking for a small business, or someone who works from home as a hobby who would maybe fancy hooking up for hopefully some regular work.

Again I'm in the beginning stages so nothing is 100% yet, I'm simply looking for an estimate on the labour alone, we can talk about materials etc later.

Thanks, Michael.
Dermot

Re: Quote for framing

Post by Dermot »

Welcome to the forum Michael.

What is your price target and what volume would you place orders for...

Making the frames and the mount-mat would be no problem, meeting your price expectations may prove a stumblinng block...
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome Michael. :D

If this going to be an ongoing thing and you want to say, make 100+ per month, maybe the best course of action is to get a secondhand morso and an underpinner. You're talking <£1000 if you look around. The mounts are really a CMC job if you want them in 'bulk', but I'm sure there are members here who would sort you out in that department at the right price. It would be a long-winded job with a manual cutter and a good one would not be cheap.
This sort of equipment tends not to depreciate markedly, so you can usually recoup your investment if you wanted to resell the kit later.

As Dermot says, It depends on your price expectations. But most framers will give you a good price for a repeat order of indentical frames if you talk to them nicely. :lol: Bear in mind that box frames can be slightly more problematic to make than 'normal' ones. You have to choose your moulding carefully.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Do you guys have many 2-2.5 inch deep box frame mouldings up there? We would probably only have three or four different styles here and none of them are in the budget price range.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I'm guessing the idea is to make a box out of battens and then frame it.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Do you have any local framers who are adequately equiped and have just started up working from home and don't have a second job and need more work? If your idea is a good one, your framer will be glad of the work and your businesses can grow together. Just a thought!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
markw

Post by markw »

A deep frame as you describe isnt going to be cheap - the availability of deep moulding is fairly limited and you need the sort of equipment that can fire long wedges into the moulding - and a morso with deep rebate supports (unless you use a flat faced moulding that can be cut upside down without rebate support).

It would seem to me that you need to factor in a reasonable amount to be able to source your framing from a business that could make a realistic profit out of the transaction. You both need a profit!

From a design point of view your mount proportions are very clumsy - you need to look at the balance of the spaces around the apertures - get it right and your product will look good - get it wrong and it compromises the look of the finished product.
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

I would charge you 88p + vat ( ex works) each for the mounts if you order 20 or more

Happily quote for frame but would need more info- i.e quantity, finish, colour

regards

Will
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt