WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
danchip1
Organisation: Devon
Interests: Doing the right thing
Cooking and eating curry

mirror / mount

Post by danchip1 »

Greetings all

A lady bought this into the shop yesterday and would like a replica made to house another photo.
It is a mirror with an apeture with decorative effects applied but effects seem to be "under the surface"
Does anyone do this anywhere? I think the original is from the forties
Oh, and that style of mirror mounting clips, have seen curved ones in Lion catalougue. They are thin plated steel.

Thanks
Dan
Attachments
soldier jpeg.jpg
soldier jpeg.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
prospero

Re: mirror / mount

Post by prospero »

I think you are going to be hard-pressed to find an exact replica. It's a nice idea though. To make one you would have to apply the pattern to the back of a piece of thickish glass and then have it silvered. (just the outer boder):o

Simons do some nice 'deco' style readymades. I'll have a look later.......
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

or an alternative technique would be to silver the glass, and then scratch the silver leaf off to reveal the design and then paint the back.

Verre eglomise, on a complex pattern like that is going to be mega bucks! there are people around that do it, even old signwriters may be more experienced and suitable for this job.

but maybe there is some other way of doing it that I don't know about, any other ideas people?
prospero

Post by prospero »

Had a look in the latest Simons cat. Some weird and wonderful stuff (pressed flower frames? :shock: ), but nothing quite like that frame. I dare say someone could make it, but it would be very very very expensive. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
gesso
Organisation: The Gilders Studio
Interests: see above

Post by gesso »

US ebay has many examples like this. if not a sign company could cnc you a template or as already indicated you could verre eglomise your own.
Mark Fisher
www.thegildersstudio.co.uk (Now Closed)
tel 07513605550
GL544DX
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

For the uninitiated like myself, I'd like to ask what is verre eglomise?
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
danchip1
Organisation: Devon
Interests: Doing the right thing
Cooking and eating curry

Post by danchip1 »

Moglet wrote:For the uninitiated like myself, I'd like to ask what is verre eglomise?
sounds like something to do with cooking...or churches
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

O.K., I have never done this, but how does this sound?

1. First you'll need to scan or photograph the image and print it out to 100% full size.

2. Lay a piece of etched non-reflective glass on top of the printed out image and fix some air brush masking film to the upward facing etched side of the glass.

3. Cut out and remove the necessary sections of the masking film and the air brush a suitable silver paint on the glass.

4. When the silver paint is dry, remove the masking film, then after re-masking the display window area, spray the back with a suitable protective medium to protect the silver paint.

No doubt after you've gone to all this trouble, you'll discover where you can buy them ready made! :Slap:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
gesso
Organisation: The Gilders Studio
Interests: see above

Post by gesso »

Moglet wrote:For the uninitiated like myself, I'd like to ask what is verre eglomise?

the gilding of glass

This is the post relating to the subject
http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3197
Mark Fisher
www.thegildersstudio.co.uk (Now Closed)
tel 07513605550
GL544DX
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Thanks, Gesso. :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

I can't see exactly what is mirror and what is see-thru glass but when I have the time, I do little art works on the back side of mirror using a Dremel mini grinder - there are various bits and polishing heads than can be used to remove the stuff which makes it a mirror. It would be easy to polish out a rectangle for the photo and replicate the pattern on the sides.
Alan
framejunkie
Organisation: framejunkie
Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR

Zebedee

Post by framejunkie »

Boing!

Took me a while but I've figured this one out, courtesy of a chance discovery while looking for a supplier of something else altogether.

Ultimate Mirror paint -

http://www.sylmasta.com/acatalog/Online ... or_63.html

Simply paint it onto clean glass - make sure its really clean!

I've experimented with vinyl airbrush stencil film and it seems to soften with the acetone in the paint and sometimes leaves a residue of the adhesive, but work quickly and it seems to be ok. I'll post some pictures when I've got a finished product to show off. Thinking of getting some stencils computer-cut from vinyl. Anyone got that kit and want the work? PM me if so.
etched
Organisation: dublin
Interests: framing

Post by etched »

i have done this type of thing - get a sheet of mirror and work from the back....cover it with dc fix contact, (prep work would involve tracing/copying the design)....carbon copy the design onto the contact and cut out like a stencil. to remove any unwanted mirror to leave the design - first use paint thinner to remove the paint and Nitric Acid to remove the silver..........very messy procedure and very time consuming and the nitric acid is dangerous.......another and easier way of removing both the paint and silver is to sandblast it but the glass will have and etched effect so then you would have to varnish the etched part to make it clear and then silver it . .. ..
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

I wouldn’t pretend to have the skills to attack a project like that. This looks like a specialty of a stained glass artist.

I used to have a friend with whom I had a close working relationship who did a lot of this kind of glass etching for restaurants, bars, office buildings, etc. I believe that to do it correctly, one would have to cut friskets into very intricate shapes, apply them as a stencil, and gently sand blast the silver from the mirror. Masking those areas takes quite a bit of skill and experience.

I would farm this project out.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine