Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Never ever or sometimes ?

Post by Bagpuss »

Just a general question really, I'm interested to know what the overall consensus is .

Having learnt my craft through the FATG over the years I have always believed that I should never have glass in direct contact with the artwork, which sounds like a very good rule but I have found myself fitting a framespace spacer for low cost prints that a customer did not want a mount on or when a mount wouldn't have looked right.

If the artwork is of some worth or has sentimental value then naturally I would always ensure a spacer but is it really a sin to have the glass resting directly on the artwork if it's a print that might hang on the customer's wall
for 10 years and then they tire of it and take it to a Charity shop ?

Just wondering ..... :wink:

Thanks,
B'Puss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Re: Never ever or sometimes ?

Post by Bill Henry »

I have no problem with placing glazing directly over an open edition poster sans spacer. The problem with micro-condensation is, I believe, somewhat exaggerated. Most art is displayed in areas where there are no great swings in temperatures, and where there is, it tends to change slowly.

I don’t like to cut and fit spacers for one thing. One almost has to do it with gloves so that the glass doesn’t smudge, and I’ve always thought that since the support for the glass is only a very thin edge at the perimeter of the glass, it is more likely to fracture. I believe that that bowing and fracturing is less likely to occur if the entire sheet of glass is supported rather than just the edge. And, having to worry about the rabbet depth is another reason to dislike spacers.

But, this is just for cheapo posters, and ones without a high gloss surface. I would much rather use a mat (mount) rather than spacers.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I sometimes use Ecospace stick on spacers. I don't find it a problem cutting them to size and sticking them in place. I just don't like them, so much so that I think that when I've used up my current stock, I won't bother to order them anymore. Give me real spacers that I can cut on a Morso and will add something to the look of the job.

I don't think that glass should come into contact with framed art, but if that's how they want it done, that's o.k., but I won't be putting my label on the back!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

Sometimes.

I don't have a problem fitting glass directly over a poster, especially the ones on thin paper and not drymounted as they often look better that way. Also when the customer only wants a very cheap job and a discount!

When using spacers I often use the ecospacer from lion, particularly the 3mm clear plastic version, it is a little expensive but is very quick to fit and virtually invisable when fitted.

David.
prospero

Post by prospero »

No reason you can't glaze directly onto the print. Chances are it will last for years with no ill effects. Depends on the enviroment where the picture will live. If it were subjected to adverse conditions where moisture could condense under the glass, then a spaced piece of art would tend to survive better. But it wouldn't be a total tragedy if the print has no intrinsic value.

One thing though..... Depending on the paper and the size of the print, it is a distinct possibility that it will go wavy even in relatively stable conditions. The glass will not hold it flat. For this reason I would recomend drymounting the prints.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

Seems to me it depends on the art. A cheap print is probably OK against the glass (did one this week) but a photograph against glass is probably bad news. I've seen more than one instance of the photographic emulsion sticking to the glass which makes it impossible to reframe.

As for inkjet or giclée prints it probably depends on the paper and ink used. I don't think I'd risk mounting them against glass.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts with me on this, I take the point about photos, I would never put glass directly onto photos. In future, if I do think that a spacer is unnecessary then I could at least make the customer aware of potential problems. He or she might like to make a call on whether it's needed or not and I could get them to sign a disclaimer ( a liitle OTT perhaps .. )

thanks,

B'Puss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )