Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
emeraldart
Organisation: Cork
Interests: Sailing, Cycling, Hill walking

C Rail Hanging system

Post by emeraldart »

Ive recently acquired the c rail hanging system for my gallery. It is very slimline and neat. It is also very versatile allowing me to move pictures around and up and down with ease and no holes in the walls. My difficulty with it is that pictures tilt out from the top and dont lie flat to the wall. If the the picture if very heavy it lies a bit better. Does anyone have a solution for this.
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Re: C Rail Hanging system

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

What I do is hang the pictures on two perlons - one on each d-ring - not on the middle of the cord.

You need more perlons, but it looks better.

I also use the Smart Spring Hooks (Lion sell them) Very easy to use and (I think) sit a little flatter against the wall.
emeraldart

Post by emeraldart »

Thanks for that advice. Ill try that later. I have been using two perlons attached to the string but ill attach them to the D lings this time. I think I will put the D rings higher up on the frame as well to see if this gives it less leverage. I am using the zip hangers which are quite flat as well. Thanks again.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

HI Philip,

So glad to hear you're enjoying your new C-rail system! :D It is very neat and unobtrusive to the eye, and so versatile and easy to use.

I will string pictures as normal (unless they're just "showcase" items not for sale), and I usually put a second pair of D-rings - with the D pointing towards the top of the frame - about 5-6cm down from the top outer edge of the frame rim, and about 2cm or so in from the outer edge of the frame rim sides, so that the Zipper hooks don't peep out from behind the frames. :) I have found that using this method results in a frame hanging very close to the wall, instead of looking like the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Tip: When you're hanging a picture for the first time on the system, put the two Cobra heads into the rail right beside each other so that the Perlon cords are really close together. Then slide the Zipper hooks into the approximate position required. Put a little tension on the cords to check that the hooks are pretty much side-by-side, and then slide the cobra heads out to the required distance for the frame you are about to hang. (I keep a short length of raw ash moulding (about 40" long ) for this purpose. It allows you to "tap" the cobra heads to ease them along the rail without being up and down a ladder like a yoyo, and doesn't mark the wall or the rails. This tip is especially useful in the case where you are hanging two pictures of equal width one above the other on the same pair of cords.

Also, make sure the perlon cords are hanging perpendicular before doing the "fine tuning" by eye, or with a spirit level, to ensure that the frame is level. If the cords are skewed, you end up fiddling around more. A small plastic spirit level is very handy for checking that the frames are hanging leve.

If you are hanging a particularly large or heavy frame, an extra pair of hands is very welcome! :)

Final tip is to put the Zipper hooks slightly lower than you think you might need them. You get greater control of the zipper when making fine adjustments to their position when the frame is hanging on them by sliding them upwards.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
emeraldart

Post by emeraldart »

Thankso both for the very helpful advice. I did exactly as you said and the pictures are hanging much better now. Its a big thing for me to have the pictures hanging properly. Aine, at 6ft 11ins I dont need the 40 inch piece of moulding, I just reach up and move them by hand :giggle: .....only joking
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Showoff!!! :P :lol:

On a serious note, I'm delighted to know that the hints were helpful (even if the stick idea is superfluous! ;) ) and that you are pleased with the way that your pictures are now displayed.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
The Jolly Good Framer #1

At 5'8" I to can reach up and move them by hand.....

(my shop ceiling is so low I can touch it if I stand on tip toes!)
angeladub
Organisation: DIAC
Interests: Art

Post by angeladub »

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I have the c rail with perlon hangers and smart hook from Lion, I use 2 hooks and perlons per picture but they slip even though the weight is less than 4 kgs. Any suggestions? Thanks :?
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Theres not a lot to go wrong with smart spring hooks....

Are you squeezing the two sides together and then threading the perlon through the two top holes and then the bottom hole?
The two top holes should be key hole shaped – if not that might be the problem.
What type of perlon are you using? I use Lions clear plastic 2mm dia. (code 5236) don’t know if the smart spring hooks work with any other sort of perlon.

The other thing is there’s a difference between the CAMI spring hooks and the STAS smart spring hooks. The ones I use are the STAS ones which I don’t think Lion sell any more.

Might be worth giving Lion a call or email.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Could the problem be temperature related?

I imagine that it gets a tad hot in Dubai from time to time.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)