Skid Marks

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Skid Marks

Post by John »

If you use a hand held roller to press down prints on to sticky board, you sometimes find that it can mark the paper. Usually this can be cleaned off with an eraser.

But to eliminate the problem, clean the roller by running it over the tacky surface of a scrap piece of the sticky board.

No more skid marks.

Also works on the little follower wheel of a Valliani mountcutter.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

I use the fall out from mounts between the roller and the prints/photographs when I am using PVA, the bevel edges go right up to the edge of the print, so no excess glue gets on the roller either.

But yes, I agree a tack board is good for the Valiani follower wheel.
John GCF
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I've never encountered these skid marks, do you use the release paper between the roller and the print, or just roller over the print directly?

Where I first worked as a framer and was trained, the practice was to peel back the release paper and carefully stick-down the print. Then the release paper was replaced over the sticky board and the print, then it could be pressed down with a roller if you wish or more usually pressed down in a dry-mounting press at 60 degrees centigrade, which causes any trapped air to expand and be expelled. It works for me!
Cheers,
Mark