Italics

Site announcements
Problems/suggestions/Questions
Roboframer

Italics

Post by Roboframer »

When anyone uses italics with the feature I can't see them just a blank space - I can only see them if I use the quote facility.

Even get a blank space in this post where I have put the word 'italics' in italics - is it just me?
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Re: Italics

Post by Merlin »

Hi Robo

this is ITALICS

I can see this no problem
John GCF
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

I can see the italics in your post Roboframer.

Haven't come across this before.

Have you experimented with combinations of bold, italic, and underline?

Is it the same in all browsers?
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

maybe Robo's "i" is for invisable ..... :giggle:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

John wrote:
Have you experimented with combinations of bold, italic, and underline?

Is it the same in all browsers?
I can see bold italics can't see coloured italics underlined italics or just normal italics

On my screen the above reads "I can see bold italics can't see" :?: - Oh and I get a one character underline a few spaces after that!

Same in AOL and IE. - I can see that underline. and that red is OK too.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

If you can access the forum from the shop, do you have the same problem there?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

It's this PC - Pat can read it fine from her laptop. :xcomputer:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

OK - this is probably in the wrong forum now - it should be in the techie forum, but seeing as I started it here .............................

This site - is the only other place I've had big gaps where there are italics - I copied and pasted the first para in to Word and got nothing at all bar a few dots!

So I came here and pasted the same (below) and got the lot - but no italics.

Wot's goin' on?

Anybody who drives a car in the UK must, at the time of their driving test, demonstrate at least a nodding acquaintance with the Highway Code. It is a book published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, a quaintly-named body which exists to charge us money for the privilege of reading documents whose preparation we have already paid for.

The Highway Code documents the rules by which all road users must abide. It tells you which things you should not do, and which you may not lawfully do. And, judging by the behaviour of most motorists, the knowledge demonstrated at the driving test is forgotten as swiftly and as completely as is humanly possible.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

My guess is that Word is trying to make sense of the HTML that you pasted, whereas the forum editor does not. If you want to see the hidden italics, pasting into Notepad would be a better bet than pasting into Word.

Possible cures:
  • Try one of the other browsers such as Chrome or Firefox, see if the same problem occurs.
  • What version of IE are you using? (Alt-L, then click "About Internet Explorer") If not already done, upgrade to IE8.
Good Luck!
markw

Post by markw »

As you are possibly the most prolific poster on the forum it may be that you have just exceeded your italics quota - we all have to suffer cutbacks at the moment.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

It's the same in Google Chrome, Firefox IE and AOL - I have IE7 but will upgrade anyway.

I've had a quick look at what come up when I Google 'invisible italics' and others have had the problem - trouble is, with what I've read so far - I don't understand what the frell they are on about regards solving it!