Should I shuttup or put up?

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Roboframer

Should I shuttup or put up?

Post by Roboframer »

A photographer that I do a lot of stuff for comes in a few days ago with an order for a shedload of mounts and a couple of things for framing as usual.

He's good and we are slowly educating him on both design and correct mounting methods.

Then he produces a fantastic shot of a lunar eclipse (Is that the right term - sun behind the moon? ) brilliant detail. He didn't take it - bought it on a trip somewhere - doesn't ever buy others' photos but THIS ONE ..... etc.

Immediately I noticed major orange peel effect - but the dimples were 1/4" in diameter and the paper was very high gloss which emphasized it more. I pointed it out to him - yeah well, still, head-on it's OK, blah blah.

But he could surely get another - photo only and I could drymount it properly - if indeed it really needed it. Nah - don't worry. Oh - and the photographer had signed the mount too - God I hate that! Crappy choice of colour anyway, plus standard crap quality.

So, today I get to frame it - it's on some DIY daler repositional self-adhesive garbage, where you make it permanent with a roller. the board is cut to the size of the photo and the difference between it and the mount is not made flush. It is attached all round with sellotape.

I peeled the tape off and had a go at one corner of the photo - I could probably get it off, but I didn't go any further - he's not paying for that - it won't reverse the dimples anyway and he's happy with it as it is - but it BUGS me!

Still, the photographer's sticker is on the reverse, website and email address. I wanna email him and say "Look - your stuff is brilliant but do yourself a favour and ......."

But I don't think he'd take it well!

So - shuttup or put up? Not just this job but in general - quality work that is presented and/or treated badly purely through ignorance and you have the contact details of those that can be born again!
markw

Post by markw »

Do what the customer wants.
beth

Post by beth »

I know exactly what it is like, someone brings in something its has a weird colour mount, customer believe that’s what the artist has chosen therefore the mount must not be changed even though the over cuts are huge, the bevel edge is ragged there are dents in the mount and then to add insult to injury the whole thing is stuck down with masking tape or worse!!!!!. It’s a shame because we all know it will look better in the end but all we can do is to give advice and let the customer decide. :roll:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

No no no - not a problem doing what the customer wants - I'll give my advice and qualify that advice - if the customer does not want to take it it's a case of 'Fine - just tell me what to do and I'll do it'

One inch wide mount (green of course, after all there's TREES in it!) and that little black cushion, etc etc - FINE!

I'm on about contacting the place where it was done, spreading the word, a bit like a framing JW!
markw

Post by markw »

Oh its tempting isnt it. I have only ever contacted a publisher once - I knew them and had an account with them - they were taping the work in to the mount with one strip of very cheap masking tape - they were pissy at first, but I was told some time later by their rep that they hadnt been aware of the practice undertaken by a contractor.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi,

I had one come in today with masking tape stuck together in a loop to make a crude double sided tape. Apparently it came like that from a well respected gallery and framers.

It had fallen off the mantlepiece and the glass broke, so I showed them this horrible method of fixing the float mounted art and gave them my standard comment for such occasions "Did this one yourself?". I always make sure they know that I can't imagine a proper framer ever doing anything as un-professional.

The intended implication being obvious and well deserved by the other guy who surely does know better, but clearly doesn't care - they should have got me to do it and had it done properly. (A nice subtle bit of PR for me, not the other guy).
Cheers,
Mark
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I once wrote to the producer of the antiques roadshow after seeing a newly discovered Lowry (oil) glazed, but against the glass, I'd been building up to it after seeing all these valuable paintings with brown mount bevels. The experts would even comment on how nice it was to see things in their original mounts and frames.

I explained what brown bevels meant and went on to say what I KNEW would be found inside the frame and the damage that has probably already been caused. Suggested that the experts should recommend sympathetic re-mounting and UV glazing - the old frame could be kept but chances may be that a 'new old' frame could also be made etc etc etc.

Got a very nice letter back - points taken etc but we could not possibly open peoples' frames.

Missed the point lady - point is you don't have to, I already know what you'll find - advise a solution to prolong the life .....

I must write to them again, this was a long time ago when I had even lass tact than I have now!!!