cockled stuck down expensive print and the FATG

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

cockled stuck down expensive print and the FATG

Post by kev@frames »

A regular cusomer brings us a ready-mounted print by a well known westcountry artist which they had bought for 175.00 (thats 300 dollars/euros)

We frame the item, lovely, customer's very happy.
a week later they bring it back "this is all wrinkled up".

lets have a look.... when we finally prize the neutral ph budget daler mountboard off the MDF back, we find the print has been stuck down directly onto the MDF, with something like a permenant spraymount, worse, the glue is starting to come through and stain the print.

Now anyone whose read, or even glanced at the FATG standards can see whats wrong with sticking a print straight onto MDF then sticking a neutral PH cheap mount over the front of it.

My recommendation to the customer- ask the gallery for an unmounted replacement and we'll mount it properly for you. No charge, they are a good customer, and its no problem to help them out.

Then I get a phone call from the gallery, something like this..... "so whats wrong with it"
"It wasnt mounted properly"

"and thats just your opinion is it?"

"Yes thats my opinion. I would not have mounted it like that"

"so you are an expert are you?"

sigh..... "No im a framer, and Im saying I would have not mounted it like that. If it had not been stuck down, it would not be in the mess its in now"

"How would you have done it then?"

"the way the fine art trade guild recommend"

"who are the fine art trade guild?"

sigh..... "they set the minimum standards for framing and mounting, and thats what we try and keep to."

"well we get them from the artist, who has them done at XYZ framers" Then adds "hes a very well known artist you know" as if that makes it all right, and he's right and Im wrong.

Anyway, Ive already given the customer the FATG leaflet, and directed them to the FATG website. Our customer is more educated about the proper way to mount a primnt than the gallery or well known professional artist.
FFS what do they teach them at art college?

..... then the penny drops, this is the second or third mounted item we have had which has been stuck down at "XYZ framers" - after framing they start rippling, and cockling, and puckering up. last one was an expensive photograph, again sold from a gallery, ready mounted. Funnily enough, we'd had the same photographer in here, crying that our prices were too high, and couldn't we do it cheaper... :shock:

Im never one to slag off a collegue. we all have different ways of doing things, and you never know the reasons behind why a job may have been done in a certain way (more times than not, its do to the customer -artist or photographer- trying to squeeze the price down till the pips squeek) and we all have mortgages to pay, dogs to feed, bills to pay. The luxury of turning down a paying job isn't always an option when the VAT man is hammering at the door ;)

I dont blame the framers, lord knows artists can be notoriously tight fisted, and sometimes you just give them what they pay for or else you turn down the job, but how come some artists and galleries still accept very expensive prints for resale in poor materials? Poor "XYZ framers" end up risking getting a bad name, because their customer wants the cheapest possible job. I dont blame the gallery either, they just resell on commission.
But somehow the message about conservation or preserving decent artwork isn't getting through.
A lot of these people think that once its in a mount, in a browser in a gallery that is the finished product and the end of the chain.

once in a while I get a nervous moment about some of the jobs I did in the past down to a cost because an artist or photographer wanted to save a quid :shock:
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

spray adhesive on MDF

Post by JFeig »

We all know this saying ------ the last one to touch it ... is it!

As a framer we are the last to touch the art. We are it (liable for its condition)

As far as I am concerned the gallery selling that artist work is as much to fault as the artist for selling self destructing art. The gallery not knowing what the FATG is or their standards is no excuse. It is the same as - not knowing that there is a law about something after you do something wrong and get caught by the traffic officer.

A gallery is a "Professional" business and as such they should know the proper ways - even though they do not.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

"self Destructing Art" - nice- you have just added a new phrase to our vocabulary :)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi,

My framing order forms have a section for describing the condition of items supplied for framing. In such cases, I always make it clear that in my opinion the object in question has been permanently damaged by the person who carried out the work in an un-professional way. Also if anyone asks, yes I am an expert and so are you Mark, so stick to your guns.

Our reputations depend upon how we handle such situations and I have no problem about telling a customer when I think something is not of merchantable quality (re: sale of goods act) and if the vendor does not agree with me, I would happily ask the vendor if he is happy to defend what he has sold to the customer to the local Trading Standards Officer as being of merchantable quality. I think this is more than just a question of professionalism, but it also an ethical matter too!

If we don't tell our customers the truth that they are paying good money for art which has no future value, because it has been damaged before they bought it, then who will? If we can reasonably expected to be the experts, then it also follows that we have responsibilities with legal implications too. It makes you think, doesn't it!
Cheers,
Mark
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

Im with you on that one NYAF.

I dont know where Cornwall trading standards would stand on what was merchantable quality for a mounted print, but I have me own ideas and they are probably similar to yours.

we have been known to turn down the framing when we can spot the potential problems with this type of mounting and quite happy to tell the customer why there is no point in having it framed.

Sadly, too few take their purchases back to the gallery or shop that ripped them off. No wonder most of them appear without any framers label or stamp on them....

Even sadder, when people are palmed off with this substandard stuff, its not the fact that they have lost the value of the item, they have lost the enjoyment of it too. It can just look unpleasant. And how many of these are bought and then framed as gifts?

the ones you spot you can try and help with, the rest fall into JFs "last to touch it gets blamed" rule. (sub section 1: self destructing art).