Map Framing

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Dave

Map Framing

Post by Dave »

A customer has asked about traditional methods of antique map framing. Apart from relevant conservation standards, this didn't ring any bells. Any clues anyone?

Dave
framemaker

Re: Map Framing

Post by framemaker »

The first thing that comes to mind is bevel or ogee shaped veneered (birds eye maple mainly) frames with a gold sight edge slip, commonly seen on antique sporting prints.

but I have also seen antique maps framed beautifully in simple antique profiles with distressed gold/gilded and also ebonized/dark stained wood finishes with gold sight edge.
Dave

Post by Dave »

The customer in question has mentioned the term "Hogarth", I am aware of Hogarth etchings, but is anybody familiar with the term in realtion to framing maps?
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

This is a Hogarth moulding:

http://www.arqadia.co.uk/commerceportal ... No=DEFAULT

If you google Hogarth you will find out more.

John.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thanks for that, another mystery solved.

Dave
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

I think it has become a general and even misused term for almost any black frame with either 1 or 2 gold edges, which are often used on antique prints.

Even since the 19th century these black and gold frames bear very little resemblance to the actual Hogarth frames, which was an outer black ebonized or very dark stained wood with a gilded inner edge, which would usually be an ornate pattern.

These original type frames look very nice around antique prints and maps. Unfortunately I think the modern Hogarth frames do not look so nice.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I don't think there is a single decent Hogarth moulding currently available. A few cheepie plasticy small ones yes, but a 1"+ version in anything approaching a quality finish - no. Simons once did a 1 1/2" one, which was of the plasticy, foiled gold variety which I used to refinsh to give a more 'antiquey' look. But it doesn't seem to be in the present catalogue, so that's knackered that option. :(

btw. If anyone wants a load of narrow Hogarth, just back your car up to my shed and your wishes will be fulfilled. (also 1/2" gold bamboo. :P )
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
mercian
Organisation: Poster Conservation
Interests: Railway company advertising posters from 1920 - 1970

Post by mercian »

I've only just joined this forum. I know it's a bit late to reply, but I thought it worth a mention:

Antique maps are often plates removed from an atlas. They have relevant information on the reverse, most commonly an alphabetical list of places to found on the map. I remember some of these being in the house where I was brought up and they were framed with glass on both sides. The map was sandwiched between the glass, and I have seen this method used several times since on maps in antique auctions. Not a "conservation framing" method, I'm sure, but probably "traditional".
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

There's many methods of mounting a map or anything else to show both sides, but in the case of these types of maps, most are happy to have a photocopy stuck on the back of the frame to save money.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

prospero wrote:also 1/2" gold bamboo.

Wow! 1/2" gold bamboo! A collectors' item!

I asked a Simons' rep at a Spring Fair if they had any nice gold bamboo mouldings. He looked at me as f I'd crawled out of the ark (or some other dark, damp, unused hole) but did deign to point me towards some. I think I was the first person to ask about it since the invention of acid-free mountboard. Anyway, I have plenty of bamboo moulding as the customer never came back.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
prospero

Post by prospero »

I find that if you keep anything long enough it comes back into fashion.

Aquati colourwood anyone.?

I'm thinking of opening my chicken shed as the Museum of Mouldings
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About