Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Jared Davis CPF, GCF
Organisation: Www.jareddavis.com.au
Interests: CMC's, Running

Re: Effecting the value of a print

Post by Jared Davis CPF, GCF »

Dermot wrote: I'm just trying to understand the rational of adhesive “very” close to art, whether it is used for tape, hinges, mount-mat board, mounting adhesives etc.
If I may add a thought to this... most adhesives are liquid and sticky by nature (thus they are called adhesives) - some adhesives "stay this way"... they stay "sticky".... and others, like PVA, actually cure and become permanent after being exposed to time/heat/air/ or pressure. Once these adhesives cure, their molecular structure changes and they become permanently hard and solid, with no risk of re-activating or becoming sticky again.

The perfect example is water based paint - which is essentially a "coloured adhesive" - they spray it wet, onto a car body, but when they bake it (heat), the molecular structure changes and it cures and becomes permanent and solid - loosing it's sticky nature permanently. You can put this baked car body it under numerous conditions, and expose different levels of physical contact to it, and it won't be sticky.... ever. The molecular chagne is a "one way street". You could even safely place an artwork on it, and even under heat or whatever, it will not go back to its orginal sticky state.

Once again, I'm not a chemist.... but I ask questions too... and sometimes I learn stuff :) ..... sometimes

Cheers,

Jared
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Re: Effecting the value of a print

Post by Steve Goodall »

[quote="prospero"]The main thing with framing 'collectable' prints (and anything else for that matter) is that you should be able to un-frame it and never know that it had been framed. OK, you probably would never need to, but the point is, you could. Some drymount tissues claim to be reversable. But I have found they sometimes reverse themselves spontaneously. :?

There really is no good reason to drymount a print of value. If it's creased/wavy/whatever, that's the condition it's in and that's how it should stay as far as pure framing is concerned. If you try to 'improve' it, that's restoration. Different kettle of fish.[/quote]

Exactly right!!!
Your too late I'm afraid - I retired in April 2024 :sun: