Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
marct
Organisation: Wrates Studio and Framing
Interests: Computing, gaming, football

which font

Post by marct »

do you CMC guys use for names/years etc on CMC machine. Looking to put together a few samples for work for some product ideas and want a sufficiently wide font to display a picture positively.
tia

Marc
Jared Davis CPF, GCF
Organisation: Www.jareddavis.com.au
Interests: CMC's, Running

Re: which font

Post by Jared Davis CPF, GCF »

Hi Marc. i think you are are referring to the typical, common "name mat" concept, which reveals a photo behind the cut shape of each letter?

Many CMCs have their own propriety built-in fonts which are big and chunky to facilitate this requirement, as they are not commonly available fonts.

They are not open source fonts that are commonly available.

Kind regards,

Jared
marct

Post by marct »

Hi jared,

yes it is the chunky font type used for name mats. but due to what we are hoping to produce with it i need a font that is as wide as possible to display close to full frame of a taken image as possible.
I am hoping to be able to go and see the valiani display that mal reynolds is doing next week as he will be able to show me a few different options.
thanks,
Marc
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Marc
You will be welcome to the demonstration.
We will running two MatPro CMC's, One with the new MatStylus Deluxe pen head and the other demonstration the cutting heads.

We can show you the resident Valiani Photo Font both in 'square' version and in 'rounded' version.
John GCF
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Marc
The invite is still open to come to my place if you are interested. I have the older Valiani Mat Pro CMC without the interchangeable heads but it does all the lettering etc.
John.
marct

Post by marct »

thanks for all the offers, trying to free up some time to get to see a demonstration.. Our Schools photography work is easing up now so hopefully will be free to find out more on framing side soon.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

If you do schools photography do you do the displays of all the teacher's mugshots that tend to be up in the reception area?

Local school just brought in a ready made 80 x 60cm frame and asked me to cut a mount with twenty 50 x 75mm openings for photos and twenty 50 x 13mm openings beneath for names plus a title box.

Doddle to do with the Valiani just tell it the outside dims. how many rows/columns give it the sizes...job done.

They have now brought in three more for me to do.
marct

Post by marct »

Yes we do those for them, most the schools we do we actually make up the staffboard as a 20x16 print with names and titles below the pictures, but some schools still go for individual pics and arrange the framing themselves. Its probably my most hated part of my job as getting details from schools can drag on a fair bit.
Jared Davis CPF, GCF
Organisation: Www.jareddavis.com.au
Interests: CMC's, Running

Post by Jared Davis CPF, GCF »

Hi Marc,

There's a few brands of different CMC's to choose from, and they all have their "strengths and weaknesses" so make sure to compare them all when you do your research.

You may find these two quick YouTube videos I've recently made to be a helpful reference, so see how the Gunnar CMC software handles the tasks suggested int his thread-

Cutting "Name Mat" Fonts - with dynamic matboard sizing.
[youtube]ebf3aGM72pg&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Automatic Multi-Copy Layout - without the requirement to have to pre-calculate and type in the outside dimensions first - just rows and columns, with preferred spacing distances.
[youtube]lVA4JNdNYN8&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Cheers,

Jared Davis MCPF, GCF
GUNNAR CMC technician from "Down Under".