Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
emeraldart
Organisation: Cork
Interests: Sailing, Cycling, Hill walking

Hanging a picture at an angle

Post by emeraldart »

I have been asked to hang two pictures on the wall of a stairway. The customer wants them hung at the same angle of the stairs. Obviously the will need to bw secured to the wall for safety and hanging purposes. Have any of you done this before.
Ive seen something like it in the tube stations or airports on the walls beside the escalators. I dont really understand the logic of it as people still stand upright on a stairway not at right angles to the stairs :head:
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Re: Hanging a picture at an angle

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I have been asked to do this before. Like you, I don't understand the logic.

I put a hook in the wall, and hung it as normal, then held it at an angle until the customer said it was right, I then marked it on the wall, and then used Lion security fittings to attach - hope you have charged lots for the hassle factor!

maybe you should print the invoice at an angle too!
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
prospero

Post by prospero »

I had a request to do this last year. And to complicate the issue the painting was in an very chunky ornate frame and the canvas protruded from the back. My plan was to build the back of the frame up level with the canvas back and use Z-Bars top and bottom. (The bottom set inverted). That way the frame could be slid into place from the side and should have stayed put. Because it was all done through a third-party, I had no way of knowing how sound the wall/ceiling was. The bars would have had to be firmly anchored into a wooden spar. Most walls in these areas tend to be the non-structural type and you maybe only have weak plasterboard to fix into.
Never actually got to do the job..... :?
The only drawback with that plan is that you need space at the side, so it wouldn't work on a narrow section of wall.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
barefaced framer
Organisation: is my middle name
Interests: Walking the Beagle, Tea Lady, Cook,Cleaner etc..etc....

Post by barefaced framer »

The easiest way, I would think, would be mirror plates. You can get the inverse ones that don't show.