Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Framing 3 parts of a newspaper article

Post by Trinity »

Hope you get my drift.I'm to frame a 6x8 photo plus 2 newspaper reports / cuttings about a fellas golf success. The narratives were originally spread across the page but interspersed? with a couple of adverts, so whats arrived is a 8" x 8" block and 2 blocks about 2" x 3". I've somehow got to link the article together but an aperture for each seems to lose the flow / continuity. My intention was to mount the photo centrally and feature the articles either side. I've thought of housing the 3 parts within 1 aperture but can't figure out the fixing. The customer has gone away for 2 weeks, but my presumption is he thinks quite a lot about them as he's kept them for 10 years. I gave up golf as I was useless, little did I know it would come back to haunt me.
Hope you can suggest something.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Re: Framing 3 parts of a newspaper article

Post by silvercleave »

First thought would be to copy and reset it, layout to suit, then print on good quality white paper.
If copyright bothers you then just ask the newspaper for permission, I have always found them agreeable as long as a tag line is on the bottom as to the publication and date.
Have done this several times with no problem.
Jared Davis CPF, GCF
Organisation: Www.jareddavis.com.au
Interests: CMC's, Running

Post by Jared Davis CPF, GCF »

Here's a couple of tips:

If you are going to work with the original articles, you may want to use a black backing board, like black alphamat, as the darkness of the backing will help hide any ghosting of the newsprint coming through the front.

If you cut seperate apetures for each article section, and still want to avoid them looking disjointed, with uncomfortable empty space.... then why not use a v-groove around all of them to tie them all together? This is quite an effective design technique for situations like this.

Cheers,

Jared Davis MCPF, GCF
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Trinity wrote:Hope you get my drift...
I don't; not really - a picture paints a thousand words and you only used about a hundred - post a photo :?:
prospero

Post by prospero »

If the customer insists on having the real thing visible in it's original form, I would frame the whole thing in one aperture - ads and all.
But I would suggest Silvercleaves plan to the customer. It would make the finished product a whole lot more presentable and the original newsprint could be either encapsulated and put on the back of the frame or simply sealed into the frame package.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I am with Jared on this one but you may need access to a CMC if you do not have one. Cutting three separate apertures but using V-Grooves to link them would work like a business organisation/flow chart so that one leads to the other. Failing that some nicely drawn lines on a multi aperture mount would do the same.
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

Thanks chaps, I'm heading towards the v groove though it's a feature ive not yet used on the old wizard. While I'm here, can anyone explain how to get the images on to the forum please/
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

To upload images see the following:

http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 35&p=24222
John GCF