Stacking Your Way to Profits

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

I get an Email in from Décor every so often with tips for the Picture Framers…..this is the most recent and I thought it was worth sharing…

Rgs

Dermot

When two or more mouldings are combined into a single frame it is called stacking. The technique of stacking frames dates back hundreds of years. Frames made during the Victorian era are perfect examples. They often featured mixtures of ornate gold with stained oak, velvet, or another contrasting finish. Sometimes each layer varied from the ones on either side of it.

The technique of stacking helps you customize your designs, setting your framing apart from other frame shops. In addition, stacking can be a highly lucrative technique for your business.

Why stack mouldings instead of just using one? Here are some benefits to consider:

A wider, deeper frame means you can achieve the appropriate scale for almost anything you'll be asked to frame.

Achieve a look that will be great with many pieces of art and tie to the eclectic decorating schemes that are so popular today.

When you mix moulding colors, you can tie the whole framed piece together, creating a wonderful sense of coordination between art and frame.

When a narrow wood frame is your best design option, but not the best means of support, you can stack a narrow metal moulding inside it to add the strength to hold all the contents.

When you show stacked moulding projects, they will sell more often. This results in a higher average ticket.

The customized look of stacking may attract the attention of more upscale shoppers. This type of shopper is also more likely to purchase upgraded mats, glass, fillets, etc.

The best way start your journey into the world of stacking is to play with your corner samples. Come up with several combinations, creating a variety of looks. Then, share them with your customers!
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Stacking Frames

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Dermot,

Great to hear from you a couple of weeks back, I hope you found out what you were asking me for, I still have no idea, nor can I find anyone else that knows. I hope that chap isnt getting any more nonsense from the idiots. Anyhoo.......

Heres another couple of tips when stacking frames......(bit like trying to teach your granny how to suck eggs, but someone new to the business might not know).......

1. When using 2 or more frames to frame an oil painting, put a piece of 2mm float glass between the frames, it shouldnt do anything else but keep the painting clean, but for some unexplained reason, it seems to enhance the colours

2. When choosing an outer frame (after using a 2 1/2" wide (or more)) moulding for the inner frame, 'hand finish' the outer to match the clients personal requirements, makes all the difference and the client ends up with a 'one off' frame

3. Experiment with the following frame / stack options using a 8x6 (or smaller) oil on board or canvas....

Inner Slip - 3/4' (paint)
(Glaze between Inner and 2nd frame)
Second Frame - 2 1/2' Dished (paint)
Third Frame - 3' Dished (paint)
Fourth Frame - 3 1/4' Dished (paint)
Outer Frame - 4' Dished Gilt or Mahogany or Hand Finish to suit....What a result you will see, and your client will keep coming back for more.

3a. Try the same set up as above, but use for the outer, a 4' Reversed, makes it look like a wave

You are only restricted by 2 things, (1) Your imagination and (2) Your client's needs...and you'd be amazed what your clients are and will be willing to pay for when you take the time to show them how you can, with a little effort and time taken to show them.

One more tip when framing Oil Paintings......As well as glazing to keep it clean, cut a piece of MDF and cover the stretcher bars, staple to the bars and tape up like any normal frame, saves a whole lot of trouble in later years with dust and dirt blowing out onto the back of the canvas right behind the stretcher bars. Doing this has minimal or no effect on the movement of the bars due to humidity changes, etc........

Talk soon,

Steven
SquareFrames
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
Dermot

Post by Dermot »