ATG stickyness

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Gus
Organisation: Not yet.
Interests: Off road motorcycling; Youth work; Watching sport - motocross; speedway and rugby mainly.

ATG stickyness

Post by Gus »

Just tried out new ATG gun for first time on double mounts (double sided tape before this - thought ATG would be quicker).

Got the tape on ok, but it wasn't very tacky and the 2 mounts came apart VERY easily.

Is this the right use of ATG? Do I have to leave it to go off for a while? Shall I go back to double side tape? Anyone want to buy an ATG gun!

Any advice would be very welcome
Gus.
Roboframer

Re: ATG stickyness

Post by Roboframer »

Like most tapes, it's pressure sensitive and ATG tape on double mounts always sticks better to the mount you have appled it to than to the mount you put on top because you can apply direct pressure with the gun but the mount is too thick to apply the same pressure.

Maybe your double sided tape was stickier and maybe there are stickier ATG tapes than the type you are using, but save yourself some money and use dots/beads of PVA instead, with just a few small bits of ATG tape to hold things in place while it dries. As well as being far cheaper it's a far better bond.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I use Scapa tape which I think is made in Switzerland and having tried a few find this to be the stickyest.

I do, however, use a roller to make sure the two layers are well stuck to each other. For applications other than mounts I use PVA, e.g. when using foamboard as a space between mounts.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i tend to just wizz them through my jetmounter

it seems to just add the right amount of pressure
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

I use double sided tape and always put a few wee dots of pva all round(as already suggested), not a fan of tape guns anyway :D
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I use the ATG gun a lot, and have no real problems with it.

When sticking a double mount together, for instance, I use about 30-50mm of ATG near to the bevel, in the middle of each side of the apeture, and about the same amount at the outside corners. I then use PVA glue dots on the rest of it.

Because I know exactly where the ATG is, I am able to put pressure on those points when I put the mount together. The ATG holds it so I can handle the mount straight away. As I know from bitter experience of having to take the things apart from time to time, the ATG does not stick permanently, but the PVA does!
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Gus
Organisation: Not yet.
Interests: Off road motorcycling; Youth work; Watching sport - motocross; speedway and rugby mainly.

Post by Gus »

Many thanks for your replies....

It seems ATG backed up with PVA is the general concensus, and the one that I will be using from now on too!
Gus.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

ATG needs pressure to form a bond. Just as well really, as it means there's a bit of leeway when lining things up. Press well down and you won't break the bond without some damage to the surface paper. If you want a really sting bond the Lion's conservation ATG sticks well. Less tacky than the normal ATG but once stuck it's stuck for good.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
sim.on
Organisation: Hertfordshire
Interests: Classic cars

Post by sim.on »

I use 6mm fillet tape about 5mm or so from the edge of the cutout but you really do have to get it right first time. I bow the top mount up slightly before sticking it down as it allows me to fine position it without it touching the tape.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Use copydex, quick and easy holds fine. If you get any on the mountboard it usually rubs off leaving no marks.

:-D :-D :-D :-D

AG