Which Magazine to subscibe to?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Graysalchemy

Which Magazine to subscibe to?

Post by Graysalchemy »

It has come to that time of year again when my magazine subscription needs renewing.

I used to get Picture Business but in my opinion it took a bit of a downward direction after the old owners and editor left. I struggled on for a year until all my favourites left or jumped ship (yes love him or loath him Mr Bingham is worth a read).

Last year at spring fair I signed up to the other one Art Business Today. I quite liked it, a little to much guild info which is of no use to me not being a guild member (and unfortunately no inclination to become a member or GCF) a bit too many trade written articles. However I can't remember the last time I got a copy of it September or October :?: :?: has it become a Biannual periodical?

Anyway in the mean time I get sent a digital copy of Picture Business which what I have read of it (always dificult to read large magazines on a screen) and I was quite impressed bt it still hasn't hit the mark.

What I want out of a magazine is some informed knowledge and ideas about framing and machinery (never anything about machinery except giclee printers and CMC's). A bit about latest trends in the gallery market as I am involved in the publishing and wholesale of artist prints and perhaps a bit of business related articles.

So throwing it open which magazine if any do you read and what is your opinion of them.

If there was a poll facility I would let you vote and then I would subscribe to that magazine.

Cheers

AG

Unfortunately neither magazine seems to reach the part. I have probably gleaned more info and tips in the last eight weeks on this site than I have over the past ten years of subscription to one or other magazine
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: Which Magazine to subscibe to?

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Why not write an article yourself based on the market segment you occupy and submit it for publication? I am sure it will be of interest.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Because I want to read one and not write one, plus I am cr*p at english took 5 attempts to pass o leval english language. :giggle: :giggle: .
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

I get an e version of Picure Framing Magazine, 2 yrs for about 20 odd pounds if I remember. Got January's today and found 4 useful articles. I then also get Decor magazine, free, and again with useful articles. You can google both.
As an inexperienced framer I find a lot of the ideas from the US are quite innovative,and I'm not aware of anything better.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

It sounds like you are searching for the 'perfect' magazine. Like the 'perfect house' that some people seek on 'Location Location', it doesn't exist!

A magazine doesn't have to be perfect and never will be for everyone. Just subscribe to all of them, then take what info you want and leave the rest!

Picture Framing Magazine is a very good one - http://www.pictureframingmagazine.com/

Decor magazine was pretty good too, but I think the new owners are struggling a bit. It has shrunk down to a shadow of it's former self and doesn't come out very often.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Thanks for that. When I wrote that post forgot I was speaking to the wider world. I will have a look at those suggestions. Perhaps I am looking for something which does't exist, however the two magazines I mentioned used to have better content than they have now.

Cheers

AG
BaBaZa
Organisation: http://www.mainlinemouldings.com
Interests: Pubs

Post by BaBaZa »

The magazine editors would welcome any suggestions from readers as to possible articles. Many framers/gallery owners/suppliers write articles they feel may be of interest, in a similar way to the information offered in this forum.
Ricky @ Mainline Mouldings Ltd

Twitter #MainlinePolcore
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

That's very true, editors are always hungry for copy.

I once read an article in TPB on needlework framing, didn't think it was very good and offered to describe how I do it, with photos.

They asked me for an article about me/my shop and then they did the one on needework, paid me for both!
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Well thats what they obviously need more contributors. Unfortunately I don't think anyone would be interested in me framing up 150 prints as economically as possible for a hotel, waiting 120 days for payment and trying to stay sane in the mean time, not quite as glamorous as perhaps someone's insight into hand finished frames. I have thrown the gauntlet down again.
Louise Hay
Organisation: Fine Art Trade Guild
Interests: Art, Framing, Glass blowing, Ceramics, Cooking (& eating!), Making stuff, Brixton Community Base

Post by Louise Hay »

Your January issue of Art Business Today magazine should be hitting your doormats this week. (It comes out January, April, June, August and October)

Annabelle (Managing Editor) and I have been listening to our readers and have commissioned some more basic framing articles, as requested - look out for All Wedged in on the CORRECT way to use wedges in January! We hope to include Designing a Workshop in April with contributions from a variety of framers; any requests onward?

It's our intention that ABT serves all aspects of the industry; I'm aware that some framers think there's too much business, artists think there's too much framing, publishers think too much technology and so on, but as a member said to me recently, if everyone's complaining you've probably got it right :lol:

I hope you continue to enjoy Art Business Today

Louise
Louise Hay, CEO Fine Art Trade Guild
louise@fineart.co.uk
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Thanks for that Louise I am glad that the guild is listening, the fact that you have joined the forum is great news.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Just a quick thumbs up to all at AGT the last issue was very good, I enjoyed it immensely. Still reading it but I think it was a very good mixed bag even something giving a framers experiences of contract framing, however I think they got of lightly, payment on delivery, a designer who knows what they want and a six week lead in time were did that contract come from La La land?

Thanks anyway

AG