Acrylic

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Fee

Acrylic

Post by Fee »

Hi All

I am using acrylic for the first time and have purchased Clear UV Protected from Glass and Mirror. It has came with a white protective plastic covering on one side and a thinner clearer covering on the other. My question is which side goes against the artwork - does it matter ?.

Sorry for being such a numpty !!
Roboframer

Re: Acrylic

Post by Roboframer »

Either side, it would say on the covering if it was otherwise, that is unless it's a type I've not used, give G&M a ring to be sure.
Fee

Post by Fee »

Hi Roboframer

Many thanks for taking time to read and reply.

Had checked with G&M this morning before I got your reply and you are quite right either way goes.

Thanks again
JamesC
Organisation: The Framed Picture Company
Interests: Printing and Framing, Canvas Prints, Perspex Mounting, Graphic Design, Football, Tennis, Golf, Computers, Film, Antiques, Mountain Biking, Bass Guitar, Music, Art, Mensa

Post by JamesC »

If in doubt I usually put what was the clear side facing the picture as the other side is often coloured so the customer knows to peel it off - then you can leave it on to protect till last moment or in transit without thinking the customer will not realise to pull it off (admittedly not usually a problem as you have to peel it back from the rebate anyway at the edges).

Some acrylics do have a "show" face and the show face would normally be the coloured or branded side.

Also sometimes where one side has printed logos we notice it can leave a mark on the acrylic - which needs cleaning off so put that to the outside if there is.
Fee

Post by Fee »

Thanks James. Very helpful. :clap: