Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Wedding Signature Frames ?

Post by Bagpuss »

I've had my first enquiry for a Wedding signature frame, not exactly rocket science, the customer has asked for a 6 x 8 photo aperture within a large white mount ( 50 x 70cm ?? ) and another smaller aperture underneath for the couple's name and date etc.

I'm going to keep it plain white, with a silver frame but was wondering how you have delivered such a thing in the past, obviously it wouldn't have a photo in it until after the day so perhaps some sort of presentation sheet within the aperture for when the guests do the signing ? Hinged onto Foamcore perhaps and a backing board with bendy tabs on the back I suppose ? Is there anything I have missed ?

chrs
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Roboframer

Re: Wedding Signature Frames ?

Post by Roboframer »

Bagpuss wrote:obviously it wouldn't have a photo in it until after the day
They normally do - should really, and if the photo gets damaged or defaced, it can be replaced easily. Seven out of ten will end up in the bin anyway.

There was a short thread on this recently. http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 50&p=53178
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i do these quite a bit

i leave the image in, normally i stick it down to a board, and then stick the mount down on it

i normally put it into the frame, without glass

and then its brought back to me for the glass

sometimes though the couple want it straight away and so i just put the glass in the back of the fram so the photog can just stick it in the front when its done
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Roboframer wrote: It would, who'd want to sign an empty mount!
Hold on ..., surely they put a wedding photo in it taken on the day and delivered to them a week later by the nice Wedding Photographer ?? Perhaps they would put a temporary photo of the happy couple in there for the day, I'll give you that :wink:
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

no most of the ones i do have shots from an engagement shoot before the wedding
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Sorry, I edited my post - confusion!

'A photo' anyway - sure it can be swapped with a different one the same size taken on the day.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I am usually supplied an engagement shot which I put into the mount. I then put the mount in the frame without glass so it can be signed. It is important to supply the frame as it stops people signing in the area which will be covered by the rebate. Then after the weding when the bride has a wedding shot I frame I put the glass in and finish the frame. :D :D
Otters Pool Studio
Organisation: Otters Pool Studio
Interests: Hobbies?

Post by Otters Pool Studio »

I've often framed these with a printed sheet in the aperture saying 'Please leave messages for N and N' which is then replaced with the photo afterwards. And yes, frame in advance to prevent messages being written right on the edge of the mount which would then be hidden by the rebate.
Jon.
Otters Pool Studio
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

actually other thing is, i always supply the pens too, that way we know what is going to be used to write on the mount
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Otters Pool Studio wrote:I've often framed these with a printed sheet in the aperture saying 'Please leave messages for N and N' which is then replaced with the photo afterwards.
I like that idea, I can imagine alot of elderly Uncles & Aunts wondering what it's all about :giggle:
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

stcstc wrote:actually other thing is, i always supply the pens too, that way we know what is going to be used to write on the mount
Are but you can't control what is written

From a previous thread on this subject
Graysalchemy wrote:I have had one back in for framing which had far more long lasting damage than graffiti on the print. It had a not very complimentary comments about the father of the brides new girlfriend written by a rather drunk mother of the bride, in light fast pen. Not a nice thing to do on your daughters big day, and something which would last for ever more, and could never be rectified.

Ah well hell has no furry like a woman scorned.
Pencil may be a better option.
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Pigment pens seem to the what is used for these mats down here. I've not seen one in pencil, but it May be a good option.

An easy way to eliminate any undesirable writing on a mat is to cover it with scrapbooking elements. Small overlapping stickers or cutouts in floral or patterns can be grouped over the area, then random other groups in blank spaces around the mat to provide balance.
Framer Dave

Post by Framer Dave »

Here are some thoughts on the matter: http://decormagazine.com/2010/03/10/boo ... nal-sales/
markw

Post by markw »

The Decor article makes a very good point about people defacing the photo - and their solution is so obvious that I really don't know why I hadn't thought of doing it. I shall now go away and create something for the shop.
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Great article David. The examples look great too!

We don't seem to get Bar Mitzvah's here. I don't think we have an Jewish people living in this area.
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Yes, a very good article, thanks Dave :clap: I like the idea of placing glass behind the mount and on top of the temporary pre-wedding photo.

The customer chose a silver frame, with quite a deep rebate, about 3cm, ( I use it framing footbsll shirts ! ) It's just occurred to me, if they're reseting their hands on it and the frame is round it, how would I best secure the MDF backing board ? given that there'll be a 2cm drop to the table top, bendy tabs wouldn't really hold it in place as it's 50 x 70cm :( Hope that makes sense ... any ideas ?
Adam/Bagpuss
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

fill the back up with foamcore
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Are they going to be signing it flat on a table or upright on an easel or something? But anyway, pack the back out and/or use rigid tabs.