Clearing Forum Space

Site announcements
Problems/suggestions/Questions
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Clearing Forum Space

Post by Steve Goodall »

Hi All - but mainly the moderators...

...Just a thought - but a good one in my humble opinion....

In the "annoucements" & "for sale" sections - would it not make sense to....

Delete announcements - one month after they have passed - to keep things "current"....

Also delete "for sale" items - if the thread ends "now sold"...

I would be in full agreement to my annoucements & for sale notices being "binned" - when they have expired.

Comments & arguments can now ensue - but I don't see why...
It's not a secret - I work for Wessex Pictures & I'm here to help!!! you can email me at steveg@wessexpictures.com or call me on 07585 138566
Graysalchemy

Re: Clearing Forum Space

Post by Graysalchemy »

But why would you in gods name went to do such a ridiculously stupid thing like that, it makes complete and utter sense in my opinion. I for one think you are absolutely barking mad.

There you go I had to be confrontational, I've got a reputation to maintain.

And no I am not in the beer tent tonight.

:giggle: :giggle:
Steve Goodall

Post by Steve Goodall »

It is well past beer o'clock & even past wine o'clock now too - c'mon - let's have a good reasoned case not to delete sold items & events that are ancient history from the forum...

Thanks Grays (I think he has been on the ale ale again) - valid comments!!! :rock:
It's not a secret - I work for Wessex Pictures & I'm here to help!!! you can email me at steveg@wessexpictures.com or call me on 07585 138566
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

I absolutely agree with you Steve, a very good idea :clap: more importantly, why have you changed your photo to Charles Hawtrey ??
Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

i have a banking forum - my input would be based on how much space is available to the site owner - if it gets tight and needs pruning that may be a good idea; otherwise i like to keep as much as possible - always useul to be able to look back and in the case of sale items etc maybe very useful (how often have you 'looked back' at your or others ebay items.
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
Steve Goodall

Post by Steve Goodall »

Bagpuss wrote:I absolutely agree with you Steve, a very good idea :clap: more importantly, why have you changed your photo to Charles Hawtrey ??
Bagpuss
Hey Adam - I changed my pic because people kept thinking it was me - as a lad - just like I thought you were really that saggy old cloth cat puss :giggle: - not to mention Phil at A&T actually being Zippy :clap:

Though we all know Prospero is the tea supping chimp (love his new vest) :giggle:

as Charles might say - "MDF - oooooh I Say"!!!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Steve Goodall wrote:let's have a good reasoned case not to delete sold items & events that are ancient history from the forum...
OK -

1. It was your idea :P

2. Some of those posts include interesting discussion.

3. Let's say both Announcements and For Sale forums were each left with only one topic by yourself, anyone new to the forum might (without checking your profile etc) think the course is the first one you'd done and the thing you were selling was also the first thing you'd tried to sell. Maybe seeing the thanks for previous courses/shows/seminars and how you have sold/helped sell/offered tech support on items in old for sale topics does you some favours.
Steve Goodall

Post by Steve Goodall »

Yeh - I get your point Robo - but if it is "sold" - it "is sold" - like that £700 HGP220 at present (which is all but gone to a man in Scotland) unless anyone wants to dive in quickly...

I don't want qudos or god forbid a back hander - I just to help one person to shift what they don't need to a person that does need it...

As for trade shows / schools / seminars - when they are "gone" - they "are gone" too - praise for my efforts is lovely (please feel free to praise profusely) - but I will always have new events (like Wessex Manchester - next week) & I would rather look forward to these than reflect on past glories.

I just want to keep the forum FRESH & "old" events & "sold" items seem like "clutter" to me.

...more thoughts / views / creative criticism please....

Vive le forum!!!
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

steve

the thing about threads with events that have past, they still have use

They show history

they show when events might happen next year

the for sale threads give people ideas of what things are worth etc

so no i dont see the point in removing
Steve Goodall

Post by Steve Goodall »

mikeysaling wrote:i have a banking forum - my input would be based on how much space is available to the site owner - if it gets tight and needs pruning that may be a good idea; otherwise i like to keep as much as possible - always useul to be able to look back and in the case of sale items etc maybe very useful (how often have you 'looked back' at your or others ebay items.
Good point Mikey - for sold items - I see where you are coming from - but for events in announcemets - it doesn't really apply - let's clear old events & get a better idea of what is coming up in the near future...
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

Just thought I'd post this photo of Hattie Jacques :clap:
hattie.jpg
hattie.jpg (18.86 KiB) Viewed 21667 times
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Steve Goodall

Post by Steve Goodall »

stcstc wrote:steve

the thing about threads with events that have past, they still have use

They show history

they show when events might happen next year

the for sale threads give people ideas of what things are worth etc

so no i dont see the point in removing
Not so - Stevie my boy - only very few events on here "repeat" - so if folk think I will be in Inverness next May or Sydney next June - think again - c'mon Stevie wake up - events are a "moveable feast" - they wander in time & location - on that note we will see you in Dublin soon - but watch the announcements page for a "NEW" not "OLD" event :Slap:
Steve Goodall

Post by Steve Goodall »

Bagpuss wrote:Just thought I'd post this photo of Hattie Jacques :clap:
hattie.jpg
OOOOH Matron - I say - MDF - NEVER :giggle:
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i dont see whats the big issue

the older events and older threads will eventually go further down the list.

as for you not returning to where ever, Are you sure its just they never ask you back :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Anyone reading any forum as a guest can see the dates topics were posted and the dates/times of the most recent post in each.

Anyone registered sees new topics/topics with new posts with the coloured icon to the left as well, so it's pretty obvious what's current and what's not to anyone, registered or not.

Sure - people may still click on announcements that are history and items that are sold, but doubtfully before viewing the most recent topics.
Steve Goodall

Post by Steve Goodall »

It's not a big issue & no I NEVER get asked back :giggle: must be the bad jokes :Slap:

It was only a suggestion.... :bandit: I'm not be subversive - honest guvnor!!! :sweating:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Should be in 'Forum Issues' anway :roll:

Forum Issues
Site announcements
Problems/suggestions/Questions
Steve Goodall

Post by Steve Goodall »

Quite right Robo - my mistake - can a mod get it moved to forum issues please...
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Steve Goodall wrote:It is well past beer o'clock & even past wine o'clock now too - c'mon - let's have a good reasoned case not to delete sold items & events that are ancient history from the forum...

Thanks Grays (I think he has been on the ale ale again) - valid comments!!! :rock:
It wasn't beer o'clock or wine o'clock and it isn't Christmas so it wasn't whisky o'clock either. No the beer tent was shut last night, it has limited opening hours 9pm -11pm Friday Sat Sunday and mid week 9pm -11pm Wednesday.

I don't see any reason not to delete these posts though. If the event has passed there isn't a need for it. It would free up space for on the website as well. I think it would be better to keep old posts of relevance going back a number of years instead of these ones which have little relevance. If you just wait until the site gets full the old relevant posts may get deleted instead.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Ah yes, freeing up space on the old website...

...another great way to do this is to refrain from repeating what others have said, what others have said.

:)
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)