pictures on ceramic tiles

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
barefaced framer
Organisation: is my middle name
Interests: Walking the Beagle, Tea Lady, Cook,Cleaner etc..etc....

pictures on ceramic tiles

Post by barefaced framer »

I'm not sure if anyone out there can help, as I have done a search and nothing came up, but thought this was worth a shot.

My sister is contemplating buying some pictures on tiles for her husband's big birthday at the end of the month and wants to know anything about picture tiles. We have framed them before in the shop but she just wants to know if any type of tile(that is painted on) or finish is better for quality and longevity etc.

Anybody...................? :)
Louise Hay
Organisation: Fine Art Trade Guild
Interests: Art, Framing, Glass blowing, Ceramics, Cooking (& eating!), Making stuff, Brixton Community Base

Re: pictures on ceramic tiles

Post by Louise Hay »

Before I joined the Guild I was a glass maker and ceramicist; all somewhat hazy in the mists of time but I'll try to help.

Provided the design is properly fired onto the tile then it will become part of the glaze and should last as long as the tile does. I think the longevity and quality is more to do with the skill of the craftsman than the type of tile. I could get technical and start talking 'glaze fit' and firing temperatures, which will have a bearing, but basically if you're buying tiles from a professional ceramicist/decorator they should know what they're doing in that regard.

It's also possible to apply a type of cold glaze which isn't fired on; in theory that could scratch off, but if the item is framed and glazed that won't be an issue. Lightfastness will depend entirely on the particular cold-glaze product chosen.

Louise
Louise Hay, CEO Fine Art Trade Guild
louise@fineart.co.uk
barefaced framer
Organisation: is my middle name
Interests: Walking the Beagle, Tea Lady, Cook,Cleaner etc..etc....

Re: pictures on ceramic tiles

Post by barefaced framer »

Thanks for your reply Louise, I will pass this information on to my sister as I'm sure this will help her.

If I get the framing job, bearing in mind she lives 100 miles from me, I might even try to post a pic of the finished product.