Retirement Present

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Comfyjumper
Organisation: The Small Frame Company
Interests: Framing, auctions, antiques, boxers, gardening................

Retirement Present

Post by Comfyjumper »

Iphone 194.JPG
Iphone 194.JPG (1.75 MiB) Viewed 3200 times
I had two days to do this, for a retiring Met Traffic Officer. Again, buttons and black thread came into play, as did an old Ikea deep rebated frame that was cut to size to make up most of the box. The front moulding is again a Simons stainless steel effect (slimmer than 275/SS). My sewing skills came to the fore re the chequered band, epaulette and badge. a wooden slip was again painted silver for the two photo frames. The sunglasses (a joke between him and his working partner) were secured with thin fishing line. I must admit to being quite chuffed with this one, and didn't quite fly into a panic re the frame as a quick rumage in my workshop produced suitable mouldings. he was over the moon apparently, and i now have three more in the pipeline as a result.....again...how much do I charge?
Roboframer

Re: Retirement Present

Post by Roboframer »

If the customer/recipient was 'over the moon' then surely you have been paid for the job - it's been collected.

But anyway, no-one can really tell you how much to charge unless they know a whole load of stuff about your overheads, the time taken/accounted for, the size, the cost of materials and gawd knows what else.

There are plenty of sliver mount slips around that would have saved some time.

Can you elaborate on how buttons are used for mounting.
Comfyjumper
Organisation: The Small Frame Company
Interests: Framing, auctions, antiques, boxers, gardening................

Post by Comfyjumper »

Framing is my hobby...my real job is the same as the recipient who was a colleague, so he is waiting with baited breath for the invoice as I went on hol the same day as he retired. The buttons I used were small and flat, and were basically used to secure all the threads and stop them cutting through the foamboard, especially with the handcuffs. Nothing elaborate, and I dare say there are other things that I can use, but I was limited as to time and couldn't get to DJ Simons...so adapted and overcame so to speak!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

OIC - like washers - good idea, I suppose that you could give them a few twists to tighten and them tape them down.