Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Reverse Bevel stop

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I have the reverse bevel stop for my Keecut Ultimat Gold. I need to cut a mount with 55mm borders and use fillets but the scale which came with the stop only goes down to 75mm. Am I missing something?

Thanks
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Reverse Bevel stop

Post by David McCormack »

I found this pdf on their website, don't know if it helps :?:
Reverse Bevel Stop.pdf
(83.05 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Not many framers appear to have bought this attachment and I may be wrong about this, but as far as I am aware Keencut are the only mountcutter manufacturer who make such an attachment. Perhaps this limitation may have something to do with this.

I've got an original Keencut ultimat as well as my ultimat gold and the original is set up for cutting reverse bevels with the normal margin guide fitted onto the reverse edge of the base board. I also have to work with the same limitation, I think that it's just something you have to live with! It may be a good excuse for selling larger mounts. :D

You could try making up a packing strip from the same thickness mountboard to compensate for the difference of 20mm. An alternative would be to make the mount 40mm larger and to trim off 20mm all round.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

For std thick board I set the guide bar -3mm from the margin width I want and add 2mm to the stops each end. (I think. :roll: )
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

Minimum is 3" or 75mm as you say. I over size the board to make a 3" border then trim it down afterwards. A bit heath robinson but couldn't think of any other way round it myself.
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

prospero wrote:For std thick board I set the guide bar -3mm from the margin width I want and add 2mm to the stops each end. (I think. )
No no no - reverse bevel or not the margin width doesn't change.

I had (still have) the keencut ultimat gold; never bought the rev bev stops and if they are one of the weird bits that came with it, I never looked at them.

When you cut a normal bevelled mount there are overcuts at the back, otherwise the fall out wouldn't fall out.

Measure those overcuts, the start of cut stop will be longer than the end of cut stop, I think mine were 3/16 and 1/8 - or whatever that is in metricality.

Add those distances to your end and start of cut stops and cut face up, adjust until there are no overcuts - ideally a TINY undercut, remove the fallout with a sharp blade pushed in to the corner at an angle that will only cut the back of the board.
prospero

Post by prospero »

You are right John. :P

I set the guide -3mm, put the board in, scribe a pencil line along the bar. Then remove the guide bar, rotate the whole board so the margin is under the cutter bar and line the blade up with the pencil line. Unless the margin is under 3", I can set the stop on the squaring arm to do the rest of the cuts.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

When I bought my Ultimat gold, I was a bit disappointed to find that the saleability of my original Ultimat meant that I would have accept a lower price than I was willing to sell it for. So I calibrated it for cutting reverse bevels and kept it, instead of selling it.

Since the Ultimat gold is the preferred option for those seeking a mountcutter, the original Ultimats can often be bought at quite a low price. For anyone intending to do enough reverse bevels to justify buying an original Ultimat, this may be a helpful option to consider.

My experience is that it saves a fair amount of time, so that I can cut a reverse bevel as quickly as a normal mount.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll use the method described by CanvasChris. I should have thought of that one earlier. Thanks. :roll:
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Post by silvercleave »

Reverse bevel on Fletcher 2200

Cut mount face up and increase left stop by 3mm and the right one by 4mm, hey presto a neat quick reverse bevel without over or under cuts.

think this is the measurements as I rely on the measurements written on the wall of the workshop :D

Ian
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I bought the reverse bevel attachment for my Ultimat Gold and used it a few times as I had a regular customer for fillet mounts then he started asking me for multi aperture fillet mounts. I realised these could not be done on the Keencut......

Bought a CMC!