Morso

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
ShaggyDog
Organisation: FrameDog
Interests: Music, photography, where the cat is going to sleep next.

Morso

Post by ShaggyDog »

I've just come back from a weekend with a friend who surprised me when she said that she had got a Morso in her refurbished cottage. (Yes, it had the cross across the o, but I don't know how to do that!) When I asked for a look I was shown a very nice woodburning stove. Is there any link between the Morso's that we know and love and the stoves?

Just wondering

Simon
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

No connection

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Mors is an island. The Danish word for island is Ø ( Simon - press Alt then 157)
So that where both the MORSØ stoves and choppers come from.

The stoves were first made in 1853
The choppers were first made in 1911 also on the Mors island. Here is a bit of the history.

Anders Nielsen Christensen born on 27 June 1882 made the first mitring machine in the world in 1911 on the island of Mors – and the Morsø was born. The Danish letter ‘Ø’ means “island” therefore the name of MORSØ.

His friend, the town barber, also ran a small bookstore and picture framing business next to his barbershop. One day – that was already in 1909 - the barber said to Anders, "It's terribly difficult to get the corners of a frame to fit properly. Since you're so good at making things, do you think you can come up with something that will make it easier to put frames together?" That simple question was the birth of the business we know today as Dan-list A/S in Randers, Denmark. Its product is so unique that the product name Morsø has become part of the English language. Today the English word for mitring machine is Morso.
[/color]
There is no connection between the 2 companies.
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
pixnut83
Organisation: My garage
Interests: Film Noir, Spaghetti Westerns, Venison, Stilton, Merlot, Laphroaig

Re: Morso

Post by pixnut83 »

I have one of each. :rock:
John.
He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)