Just in time for Remembrance Day

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Just in time for Remembrance Day

Post by Tudor Rose »

We have just finished a job for our local branch of the British Legion to update and reframe all the pictures in their memorial room. Deadline was to have it all finished and hung before the 11th and we put it all up for them last night, which was great at they were also celebrating the branch's 90th birthday yesterday.

The main wall has four panels with individual photos and captions, all in alphabetical order - dating back to the start of the last century, right up to the last one added in 2006 (a Marine killed in Iraq). We also reframed "To the fallen" (an original painting done when the branch opened in 1921) and listed the names of those where no photo exists, alongside a poppy photograph and the "birth certificate" of the branch.

The wall next to it houses the VCs connected with the branch and the full citations for each man and their photos and a replica VC. There is a smaller version of the panel in the bar area downstairs with photos, captions and replica VC.

On the wall behind where the photo was taken from are all the others not included on the main wall or VC wall - these are for people who received a Mention in Despatches upwards, again with photo and caption.

81 photos and captions, 5 VC photos - more hours than I care to think about typing up captions and citations and getting them all lined up in the mounts (thank heaven for a CMC at times like this) and then the stress of hanging them to make them all line up. The committee were really pleased and we have been invited along to the grand reopening of the memorial room after the parade on Sunday. The mother of the Marine lost in 2006 will be performing the ceremony, along with the local Bishop and our MP.

We were really proud to have been involved in getting this done, having previously reframed all their medal collections for them and various other pictures that are hanging in the bar area. Sorry the photo attached isn't great. It was taken on my phone.
Attachments
RBLDawlish.JPG
RBLDawlish.JPG (27.24 KiB) Viewed 5072 times
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Re: Just in time for Remembrance Day

Post by birdman »

You obviously put a lot of hard work into the task and it has turned out great. I can understand why the RBL would be so pleased with it and sadly we can only see a portion of that work. Well done. :clap:

Rolf
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

As ^^^^^^ Rolf says. A job really well done. You should be proud :clap:
John GCF
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

As an American can you explain the VC as to level of the "above the level of duty" in relationship to some of the US metals

Metal of Honor
Silver Star
Bronze Star
etc
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi Jerome
Here is the Wiki explanation

The Victoria Cross (VC) is the highest military decoration awarded for valour "in the face of the enemy" to members of the armed forces of various Commonwealth countries, and previous British Empire territories.
It takes precedence over all other orders, decorations and medals. It may be awarded to a person of any rank in any service and to civilians under military command. In the United Kingdom, it is usually presented to the recipient or to their next of kin by the British monarch at an investiture held at Buckingham Palace. In other countries where the Monarch of the Commonwealth realms is the head of state, the Governor-General usually fulfils the same function. It is the joint highest award for bravery in the United Kingdom with the George Cross, which is the equivalent honour for valour not in the face of the enemy.[2] However, the VC is higher in the order of wear and would be worn first by an individual who had been awarded both decorations (which has not so far occurred).

Not sure how it relates to those you listed
John GCF
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

beat me to it merlin

this link may also be of interest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_V ... recipients

5 awards have been made to american citizens excluding the award to the american unknown soldier
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

Forgot to congratulate tudor rose on a superb display for the Legion - lovely job !!
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

I intended posting this earlier but I didn't want to detract from the great job done by Tudor Rose. Here is one we put together for Remembrance Day making use of our printer and our framing skills.

Rolf
Poppy frame.jpg
Poppy frame.jpg (70.47 KiB) Viewed 4898 times
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status